C5 with Xmas tree lights - all lights on.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johnhuson
My Cars: C5 HDi estate

C5 with Xmas tree lights - all lights on.

Post by johnhuson »

2002 C5 Estate HDi Auto. I use this car taking hospital patients all over the country. Driving fine today the following warning
lights came on;
STOP (in red) engine management (why), handbrake with brackets, ABS, and others. Messages say 'Brake fault' 'EPS fault' in fact it would be easier to say
what is not illuminated. Drives fine but possible reduced power (auto). No loss of fluid.

I have had problems (now solved) with ABS sensor, seized front handbrake lever on calliper resulting in knackered pads and reduced fuel consumption.

No guesses please, if you do not know it can cause so much expense and time however well meaning.
I was a contributor on this forum but not for a while under a different username I cannot remember.
Thanks.
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: C5 with Xmas tree lights - all lights on.

Post by wheeler »

johnhuson wrote: 27 Sep 2017, 20:41 No guesses please, if you do not know it can cause so much expense and time however well meaning.

Unfortunately that's all you can possibly get just now without more info & checks.
Is the speedo still working ?
Are the brake lights working correctly ?
Do you have access to lexia or other diagnostic gear ?
Could be worth trying a BSI reset first.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

A number of problems effect and cause EPS "faults".........The only thing/first step is get it on a Lexia or you will be chasing your tail.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Also confirm that the battery voltage is correct - don't assume it is OK, check it.
C5s are notoriously sensitive to reduced voltage.
As far as the BSI reset is concerned there is a tiresome procedure to be followed - just had to do it twice on mine.
Here!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I would suspect an ABS sensor (same or other) - any fault in this will disable the ESP and ABS system, as will any fault in the braking circuit - so be aware you will only have basic braking from now on until identified and fixed.

The only way to find out for sure is getting Lexia to identify the fault / sensor if you want to save money and stop guessing.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Filberton

Post by Filberton »

Lexia must be the first step (there are a number of Lexia owners on forum who may help) but lexia may show little if this is an intermittent or transient fault.

Not a guess but rather, sharing a similar experience - I have had similar on a number of C5s always the same problem and solution.

Do not worry about lack of power, certain lights put the car to “limp home mode”
I suspect once left a couple of hours or 3 restarts, all the faults disappear??- do not ignore this and think the problem has gone away!

To get all these faults at once suggests they are not all actual faults and the common denominator is the ECU.

As others suggest, look to battery voltage first, you can get a garage to check but a quick test is headlights on main beam, heated window on...start and idle then rev to about 2000rpm. If lights brighten considerably you may have a battery problem. (Zero cost check)

On each of my C5s, the problem was a dirty/oxidised pin on one of the main ecu plugs (there are 5 of them back left in engine fuse box). First time, I ignored what I thought was a passing fault, it happened again and I ignored it....third time I looked and found the pin had overheated and melted the plug......these parts are not cheap. Since then, if I ever get a transient fault like this, I just open the bonnet, remove the plugs one by one, spray the pins with electrical contact cleaner (about £2 from Maplin) and push the plugs in and out a few times. No more problems and a £2 fix which takes about 30 minutes.

I hope your problem is as simple 😁😁
Current: C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDI Manual (2008)
C3 Puretech 1.2 Feel (2017)

Previous: Citroen C5 mk1 2.0 HDI,
Peugeots 407, 406, 406,205,309, 306 Meridian, 306 L, Peugeot 207L 1.4 manual (2003)