Xantia Rear Suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DarkendViper

Xantia Rear Suspension

Post by DarkendViper »

Hi all,
Just got a quick question for you. I have a '96 Xantia Estate 1.9TD VSX. I have had all the spheres replaced in the last nine months. When I had the rear hydractive and anti-sink changed the back end just started to drop.
It would drop in alsorts of different situations. It can do it while cruising on the motorway at 70. When you pull out of a junction, it doesn't seem to do it when using the brakes. It even does it after doing the citaerobics.
Could anyone give some pointers as to possible causes and solutions.
Thanks.
Ste
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Well -
First off : the spheres themselves does NOT have anything to do with actual suspension height. They are ONLY there to provide a springy element in the suspension.
It's the hydraulics alone that does the work on the suspension height setting & regulation.
This means you are facing any kind of a hydraulic problem in the rear suspension.
The first & main suspective is always the HC linkages. The HC itself receives info on actual suspension height from the antiroll bar position - transferered by mechanical steel rods - and alters the hydraulic suspension pressure to re-gain the set balance for the suspension height.
In rare cases the HC valve piston may stick intermittently - causing slow oscillation - or unstable - height regulation. This is most certainly always caused by dirt or corrosion inside the HC itself.
A rule of thumb tells you to always go back where you last fiddled - if the car suddenly starts having new symptoms - right from begining after such work completed [8D]
Chances are that the HC linkages have been disturbed during work replacing the center spheres.
If the rear HA unit electrovalve connections have been disturbed (it's located on the unit where the HA sphere fits !) - the electrovalve may switch between hard (dis-engaged) and soft (engaged) modes - by intermittent electric connection - causing height differences due to differences in hydraulic pressures after mode changes.
More severe : if the work replacing the center spheres was done NOT observing utmost cleanliness - chances are that any dirt/grit from underside body ingressed the open sphere bases [:(]
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

Well it does sound like it could be the rear height corrector, sometimes it's feels as though it's sticking.
What would be the best way to grease/lube it up? WD40? or something else?
Thanks
Ste