The C5 shall return

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: The C5 shall return

Post by elma »

Roughly one every 45-90 seconds about 345 days per year.
Slightly varies depending on the production rate and the factories shut downs, or holidays as normal people call them.
If the line makes multiple models obviously then it gets split and I cannot answer the question where that happens without looking up worldwide sales figures.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Perhaps they need to think outside the box. They could design a basic chassis and range of engines but have different interchangeable body components - a bit like my new mouse I'm using - a simple idea, but very few manufacturers offer them. A basic mouse with configurable buttons and options, but I can change the thumb rest and the pinky finger rest, as well as adjust the palm to get the perfect fit or style depending on what I'm doing.

You could have options for the body panels / styles with a common fixing point if they could find a cheap way of moulding the parts.
Case-2.png
Pinky1.png
The three interchangeable parts use powerful magnets to snap into place with the electronic pin connector always in the same place to provide power for the button which is in different places depending on the attachment used.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

The problem these days is that anything other than a colour change requires reassessment and perhaps retesting of environmental and safety approvals.

It can be done, but doesn't work commercially except at the expensive end of the market.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

So does this mean that Citroen is done for? Relegated below Peugeot and stripped of any agency for innovation (hydractive)?
elma

Post by elma »

The smart car has swappable body panels, or at least did originally. I'm yet to meet an owner that's changed them. Now we have wraps there's no point really.

As for Citroen bring done for I think not they are just getting turned into PSAs Skoda. Would I ever buy anything they made after 1998 with my own money, no way. So for me no difference, I never thought much of technologically advanced Citroen's. They should be simple, comfortable and hydropneumatic.

I'm still quite taken with that Laguna, I really want to take it for a spin. I think I could live with it if the legrooms ok. I don't want one though, a van is next on the list. I like vans as they are comparatively easy to work on and you can have as bed in them.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote: 26 Sep 2017, 18:31 Everything Dyson I've handled has been made poorly and really unimpressed me after hearing the hype.
The airblades being my most hated example.

Agreed in all respects.

Those airblade hand driers that seem to be everywhere now are a joke... The just make a lot of dreadful noise, blow a bit of tepid air and don't, by any stretch of the imagination, dry your hands...

Total rubbish. Their vacuums are the same. All noise, poorly designed and no performance. They really do suck...

Whoever designs Dyson rubbish surely never had to use it in anger and never tested any of it in real life...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

CitroJim wrote: 27 Sep 2017, 07:00
Whoever designs Dyson rubbish surely never had to use it in anger and never tested any of it in real life...

LOL....that would be my Nephew then ....I will pass on the feedback :)

FYI, Dyson did not invent the cyclone "dust separation" principal, German designers did as sand filters for tank engine air intakes, they used them as pre filters for tropical/desert use.

Here seen on a Tiger (one twin unit each side, these fed the standard air filters on the carbs)
Attachments
tiger-tank-025.jpg
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well we've used them for over 10 years and they are the best ones we have ever used. Living in the country we have excess dust and these Dysons are great at filtering it out - they say wash the HEPA filter every month - we HAVE to wash ours WEEKLY as it is full of particles. The only other hoover we can attest to was German and made by Vorwerk - indestructible and last for a lifetime. So in the REAL world I have to speak as I find (just son't get the 'Cinetic' version (without separate pre-motor filter) - although the teats on the ends of the cyclones are supposed to vibrate and trap the smallest particles - they don't work and motors are blowing early because the non-consumable replaceable filters in the wheel halves clog and the motor is swapped. They now put a notice on them saying no fine dust (how? !) and now plaster or builder rubble. So don't get the Cinetic - get the model with the washable filter.

That's my Dyson bit done - I wish I never mentioned it now :-D

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote: 27 Sep 2017, 08:33
CitroJim wrote: 27 Sep 2017, 07:00

LOL....that would be my Nephew then ....I will pass on the feedback :)

Do! Especially on the hand driers. I have to suffer the horrid things at work...

I once had a Dyson upright and despite it not being good for its job it was almost indestructible... Duff motor bearings killed it in the end...

GiveMeABreak wrote: 27 Sep 2017, 08:49they say wash the HEPA filter every month - we HAVE to wash ours WEEKLY as it is full of particles.
I currently have a Hoover 'Pets' with a very good HEPA filter on account of my dust allergies... It's an excellent tool and does a wonderful job. I too have to wash the HEPA filter on a weekly basis as it gets full of very fine dust very quickly...

I'd suffer badly without a really good HEPA filtered machine... Mine is a godsend :D

When it dies I'll be on the look-out for a new high-quality HEPA filtered machine...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

CitroJim wrote: 27 Sep 2017, 09:09 When it dies I'll be on the look-out for a new high-quality HEPA filtered machine...
Have you considered a Dyson Jim.... :rofl2:

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 27 Sep 2017, 09:11
CitroJim wrote: 27 Sep 2017, 09:09 When it dies I'll be on the look-out for a new high-quality HEPA filtered machine...
Have you considered a Dyson Jim.... :rofl2:

:lol: :)

Given how critical it is for me then if it can do a really good job then yes, I will... I'm always happy to give something another chance even if I've been disappointed in the past :)
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

Miele are the only vacuums worth having.
I've had all types over the years but they all get returned after the first use and old faithful remains.
Had mine nearly 15years now and still can't find anything with the same power and robustness. It's got really good filters as well, 2 particle one's and a HEPA.

The airblades would actually be ok if they made 3 improvements.

Firstly they need a proper reservoir as they use the seams. Crud builds up if they are not in constant use and water spills into the floor. The 2 ways to resolve it are wipe it down every 5th use or don't let it turn off ever. If people don't clean the soap and dirt from their hands thoroughly it is deposited in the seams and the water will not evaporate at all until it is scrubbed.

Secondly they clearly did not have an electrician involved in the design, they are really poorly thought out on the installation side. A lot of unnecessary wall hacking is required to install them neatly or they press on the cable.

Finally they take 2 cycles to make operating temperature. They will not dry hands properly until preheated. In a washroom with light to moderate use (as I suspect is the case in Jim's work) they just don't do the job unless you pre heat them for 30-60 seconds.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Good to see that there are a fair few 'Domestic Gods' here!
Domestic God.PNG
My understanding is that with those air blade driers, you need to slowly move hands through (almost like a squeegy on a window) for it to be effective.

James - get us back on track quickly...

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Have to agree on the Mielé vacuum cleaners James.
elma

Post by elma »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 27 Sep 2017, 09:32
James - get us back on track quickly...

Courtesy of Google images
Courtesy of Google images
Sorry, far too difficult for me.

You are meant to move your hands in and out.
They work best if you start at the wrist and slowly move to the fingertips.
They still need pre warming though.

It's like a beta product to me, a good innovation but without the features required to do a good job.
Used effectively the energy savings (it's USP) are negated.
Give me a week at Dyson and I could really improve it and most of their other products I've used.
It gets to me as I'm pro British invention, manufacturing and business but Dyson I avoid on quality.
Oh yes and price, those driers were £3k when I last installed them, I hope that's come down about £2750 by now.