bx front strut return pipe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

moizeau
Donor 2024
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

bx front strut return pipe

Post by moizeau »

I've noticed that whilst the bx has 2 rubber return pipes coming from the clamped rubber cup, the xantia has only one. My question is, can a xantia return hose be fitted to a bx? Obviously one of the inlets on the inner wing would need to be blocked off or a 'T' used. The reason is, at the local tat yard there used to be loads of bx's and when I was there I'd take any good ones. Now though, there are only a handful, but there are 10's of xantias.
Thanks in advance
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
BX
My Cars:

Re: bx front strut return pipe

Post by BX »

On the bx one of the two allows the strut to suck in air into the bottom of the strut on the rebound. It goes back to the reservoir above the fluid level. There is a non return valve fitted to the air pipe at the reservoir. The other allows fluid that leaks by the strut hydraulics along with any excess air to return to the reservoir when the strut is compressed. A blockage on either line results in burst pipes. I don't know how the system works on the Xantia or the C5 which have only one pipe.
I guess but don't really know that a tee piece would be the best way to use a single pipe on the BX. To use the double pipe on the xantia , just plug the unused pipe.