Citroen C5 fuel filter housing electrical connector

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

danny_c5
My Cars: C5
Previously a 2.2 Laguna.

Citroen C5 fuel filter housing electrical connector

Post by danny_c5 »

Hi

Any advice on this.

C5 2hdi 54 plate was having starting problems 12 months ago, wouldn't start or turn over completely died when I was pulling out of work in 2nd gear, got the error message "Diesel in fuel filter"

Got the car towed back into works car park and changed the fuel filter reconnected and still no joy, tried jump starting it again no joy.

Managed to get the car towed to an a garage and my girlfriend went to pay and arrange for the car to be left outside as I would be collecting the car when the garage was closed.

Collected the car and got less than a mile from the garage and car just died and wouldn't start, had to have it collected on a low loader and returned to the garage at my expense.

Few days later car was ready, again girlfriend picked the car and I asked what work they had done she said they told her something to do with starter motor - not a new one and £200 pound for all work???

The interesting point and question I have is they left the electrical connector to the fuel filter housing disconnected and said do not plug this in, just leave it as it is.

My question is why would they say this and what does the electrical connector do?

Car had a second hand starter motor fitted less than a month ago as another mechanic (who I trust and done work on my C5 and Gfs VW Golf) was doing some work on suspension from failed MOT and car had been slow to turn over/not turn over at all he said starter motor has failed and fitted a second hand starter motor and all seemed well. Until last week when there was a grinding noise when trying to turn the car over and the car has failed to turn over this morning after endless attempts. - Mechanic is coming on Thursday to look and hopefully fix the car.

Has anyone got any suggestion about grinding noise/failing to start and the issue with the electrical connector being left not plugged in?
Battery is less than 2 years old and has power/lights and lights on the dash.

I was thinking this could be glow plugs but from reading previous posts glowplugs are needed until minus 5, today was a first pretty cold and damp day and car has failed to start.

Car has never been on a Lexia but from my previous posts I have put up following work completed on the suspension has developed ESR and ABS and ESP lights and error messages that appear - have been living with this the last month as cant really afford to throw any money on a garage diagnostic.

Any advice is appreciated.
Cheers.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Citroen C5 fuel filter housing electrical connector

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

With a car throwing up loads of error lights you really need to get her onto a Lexia. While I can understand about the finances there are forum members who have Lexia clones and who are also willing to help out. May I suggest that (if at all possible) you try and arrange for a member to visit at the same time as your friendly mechanic, as this could help a lot to narrow down the faults. Although I do have a Lexia I am not yet on the list (I also live a distance away, otherwise I would be willing to pop over), but here it is for you to look through;

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=56452

You might (in future) want to consider buying a Lexia clone for yourself (you will also need a laptop running either Windows XP or Windows 7, but only in 32bit form), as it can, over time, reduce the diagnostics costs (your friendly mechanic may even ask if he could use it on PSA vehicles, as it is invaluable on them).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The message would have been "water in diesel filter" - this sensor is well known to cry wolf, and leaving it unplugged it fine to shut it up. This won't affect starting. Poor starter performance on C5s is well know, and a replacement usually sorts it. Looks like they fitted a 2nd hand or recon unit which has subsequently failed again. This won't have made it cut out though - something else going on there. The grinding noise could either be the starter goose, or the DMF failed (that is ££££ I'm afraid!) Taking the starter out for a look will reveal that.

Get the starter sorted first, then you can see if it still cuts out, for which some more diagnostics will be required; which will also pick up on the fault on the ABS / ESR as well. You shouldn't really drive it with the ABS light on, as the brake performance at the limit can be unpredictable - rear end locking up early and coming round to meet you kid of thing....
Richard W
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

There isn't a fuel filter water sensor on your model C5. There is however a plug to connect to such a sensor on the (xantia derived?) loom. Thus, the plug is always spare and doesn't connect (electrically) to anything. There is IIRC a small stub protruding from the exterior of the fuel filter housing which can be inserted into the plug to retain the plug in place for tidiness more than anything.

If I were you I would check the power supply to the LP fuel pump housed in the fuel tank (does that engine have a LP pump?) and check the battery power leads and earth points.
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There would appear to be an electrical connector on the diesel fuel filter on the Mark I 110 HDi - part 4:
MK I Diesel Filter.PNG
@ danny_C5 - Perhaps if you posted up your VIN, we can ascertain the correct model.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
danny_c5
Previously a 2.2 Laguna.

Post by danny_c5 »

Cheers for all the replies guys appreciate the advice.

Tried the car again tonight and started first time but with a grinding noise when turning the Ingition - first noticed last week. Took it for a very breif drive top of the road and back and drives ok once started - then the esp and abs lights appear as per normal.

To confirm the vin is below.

VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

The picture above is the same fuel filter hosing as the one on my c5 and it was water in diesel error message that come up when the car cut out and died.

Any further advice is appreciated

Cheers
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so you have a C5 MK II Saloon 2.0 HDi 138 with particle emission filter and manual 6 sped gearbox.

Here is the diagram showing the assembly. Part 5 is the actual water in diesel sensor (PSA Part Number: 1913 11). It is important that the circuit is primed after changing the filter - this may be what is causing some of your problems.

To that end, I've emailed you the correct procedure for priming the system after changing the fuel filter.
Diesel Filter C5 MK II.PNG
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
danny_c5
Previously a 2.2 Laguna.

Post by danny_c5 »

Marc

Got the email pal cheers for that top man 👍