ZX gorilla syndrome.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

arry_b

Post by arry_b »

James, how about using the inner splines from an old steering wheel or steering boss welded to the externally splined end of an old steering column. If you pass the splines through each other and weld them internally and externally, this should make a nice solid joint.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Arry, Now that I have started to draw the thing I realise that my plan wont work anyway. [V] I forgot there is no way to screw an extension on? I envisaged screwing it on, but the splines will prevent any rotation? Duhh. [:(!] Neither can it be slid on, as then there is no way to safely lock it on the shaft?
Your idea is much better, but we would still be limited by the original thread length on the end of the column? i.e. by "packing" the outer spline and thus extending it, the original centre thread would be too short? it would not protrude through the steering wheel far enuff to get a nut on? in fact it wouldn't even reach the hole..[:(!]
I just had a look at the site I bought the wheel from, it looks as though the boss they make could in fact be hollow with a ring welded to the end? If that proves to be the case, then no amount of modding will make it possible to fit a Volcane wheel to it, for the same reason, the centre thread will be miles too short to get a nut on, it wont reach the steering wheel hole by the length of the hollow extention..
Now I'm stuck. I can't think of an answer that would be both safe and practicle without it being very complex and expensive to make.. [V]
Looks like the answer is-- buy a large box of painkillers before I set off on a long trip! [:0] [:I] lol..
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Judge-dread. (judge of what? [;)]) Re the ZX car..
A reasonably sized (1900cc ish) automatic with lecky windows, sunroof, etc "modern" car will cost more to buy that my ZX will to get me around including purchase price, fuel, and maintenance for the next 10 years. [:0] and by then, most "modern" cars will be in the the scrapyards anyway. lol...
If you can tell me where to get more reliable, comfortable, economic motoring I am very willing to listen? But untill then, I will stick firmly with my 'old' ZX diesel! [:D]
To date. Cost £1,400 less £600 for my old Carlton that was prob worth £200 ish, [:I] call it £1100.
Fuel.. ave 40mpg. [:D]
Miles covered since I owned it 21,000..
Breakdowns:- nil. [:D] [:D]
Repairs to bodywork:- nil. [:D]
Touch up existing paintwork:- nil. none needed. [:D]
Interior work needed:- nil..
I have spent money by choice, but that was not necessary, and does not come under running costs. [:o)]
I can live with that! [^] [^] [^]
ZXturbo_Aura
My Cars:

Post by ZXturbo_Aura »

so judge...... what car do you drive? ford or summat? well i'll have you know, im a 17 years old and consider my ZX TD to be a great car and so do my m8s, i can even beat my m8 in his 1995 bmw 318i! beats gtis up the hills and gets to 60mph in about 8 seconds now with the mods ive made, so go on, name a car that will beat that for only 500 quid?
Dan
p.s. dont come to a french car forum to slag em off.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Hmmm, interesting profile you have there Judgedread. Been a member for one day, occupation Brain Surgeon and hobbies "cl*toral studies". Looks like you've spent too long with your head under the blankets there, laddie.
Your extremely helpful post smells like stinky trolling to me, and not a particularly well done one at that.
Jon - I'd hate to see these forums degenerate to the level of name calling and general uselessness of an open newsgroup. How about bouncing his membership and blocking his IP?
Jon

Post by Jon »

Arry B
Consider it done.
If you ever get problems like this in abnormal hours, try dropping a line to AlanS who has the power to zap, and as he's in a different time zone to us may well be about. I usually do the evening "shift". Interwired, the other Admin, is also online at some very odd hours!
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Thanks Jon. BTW - Congratulations on making it to 5 stars!
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Yep, Congrats Jon, well done on both counts. [:)]
The 'new' Steering wheel and stuff arrived today. The 'boss' is approx 3 inches long comprising of approx an inch spline, and a ring to take the new wheel, the two are joined by 3 short legs welded between the boss and the ring. Then a black rubber gaitor is slid over to hide the legs. No packing piece enclosed? just sez part number blah blah no longer available.. [:(!]
The Wheel itself is virtually flat!! [:(!] One side is flat the other is "dished" by the diameter of the leather covered ring, caused presumably by the ring being welded to the side of the the three spoke centre piece, rather than in the middle..
So allowing that the boss slides onto the spline by at least an inch I would gain nothing, in fact I would lose about 2 inches.. So its all back in its box on the kitchen table waiting to be taken to the post office!! [}:)]
I think %90 of the £110 price was spent on the various connectors for cancelling the indicators that came with it [:I] to be brutally honest I would not have fitted this wheel even if it was suitable, a "quality product" it isn't. [:(] The existing Volcane wheel is vastly superior. [:)]