ZX gorilla syndrome.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

James.UK
My Cars:

ZX gorilla syndrome.

Post by James.UK »

Hi all.. I am having probs with "gorilla syndrome" as mentioned by "Anders" on another thread, i.e. when my seat-pedal distance is at min for comfort my steering wheel is still too far away for comfort.
In my case due to having had both hip joints replaced I have limited movement in those joints, so I have to keep my legs as straight as possible. They will move more, but I am told by the surgeon that if I bend them beyond 90 degrees there is a high risk of dislocation. [:0] [V]
The question is.. does anyone have any idea's as to how I can bring the steering wheel nearer? Diff wheel from another model? some means of extending the spline lenght? Maybe a wheel that has arms that angle back rather than lie in the same plane as the outside ring? All-any ideas would be appreciated.. [:)]
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

one solution would be a steering boss for a zx that allows you to bolt on aftermarket steering wheels which most of share a common bolt layout. Then you have a massive selection including ones with lots of Dish, ie come out towards you about 5 inches or so which is just what you need. Go to somewhere like Demon Tweaks web site and request a free catalogue, loads of photos in there. May cost a bit but worth it over pain
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Thanks Darren, I didn't even know they exisited! I'm off to search for one now, will let you know how I get on. :-)
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

Hi James, I think Darren has got the best solution, a deep dish rim. But one other idea is could be to try a Xantia wheel-I have just fitted one, I know you have seen the other thread about it as you posted on it. The Xantia rim is about an inch closer than the standard rim when fitted to the ZX (at least it is in mine, don't know if Xantia rim dimensions changed much over the years) and it is also wider diameter (although not by much). It -might- be possible to shim it out another 1/2 inch (don't know if that is safe or not, I guess you'd have to measure the splines and make sure however far you shim it it still has a good amount ofsplinage left as it were) so that would give you 1 1/2inches whilst retaining a Citroen look and feel. Or maybe you could use a boss adapter with you existing Citroen wheel-I remember reading you have a volcane interior-they have a nice steering wheel, maybe you can use a boss to bring it closer?
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi again. I have ordered a black leather steering wheel and fitting kit, plus a 15mm distance piece from 'Mountney steering wheels'. [8)]
I placed the order over the phone.. Not online..
They don't make a wheel with a full dish to fit a ZX, the best they can do is 2-1/2 inch dish so that will prob be ok, in case its not enough I have also ordered a 15mm distance piece. I am hoping that the dish, plus the boss, plus the 15mm spacer will be enough. I can only try it when it arrives..
Terms are, if I don't like it, or if it isn't suitable, they will refund minus a 15% charge for admin etc. Total cost including delivery etc is £109-99 ouch! [:0] lol...
Delivery can be up to 14 days but prob a lot quicker.. I will let you know how it works out when I have received and fitted it..
Thanks again for the information. [:)]
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

ooops hadn't read Guru's posting when I wrote the above [:I]
Thanks Guru,I will use your idea as "plan B" in case the kit I ordered isn't enough. [:)]
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

No worries, I hadn't seen your post before I posted mine! Hope the kit works out, let us know[:)]
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

not bad really if it makes the car comfortable and if you sell the car you can always put the bits on ebay and get a bit back
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

SELL IT!!!! good grief!! no way! perish the thought... hehe.. Its going to take an angle grinder and a 6foot crowbar to get me and my ZX apart. :-) ..
Btw, I had my first ride in a Xantia last night.. Erm.. it needs 4 new shock obsorbers I think! I felt sea sick when he dropped me home again.. lol..
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Btw, I had my first ride in a Xantia last night.. Erm.. it needs 4 new shock obsorbers I think! I felt sea sick when he dropped me home again.. lol..
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
James
They don't have any shock 'obsorbers' - no oleopneumatic Cits do!
You probably wouldn't like a ride in my DS, then ;)
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I beg to differ! The damper valves are contained in the spheres. I probably would like a ride in a DS though
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Erm whats a "DS" ? I do like the old Safari Cits, I was very impressed when they first came out, and my mates Dad had one as a taxi. [:)] I used to love watching it 'lie down' [:I]
Carefull what you wish for Mike, West Yorkshire aint that far away.. [;)] lol. I'm about 9 miles East of Manchester. (Sheffield side).
Re the Xantia, it started to bounce in a sort of natural manner when it hit a bump and continued to rock gently front to back untill we stopped, when we set off again it did exactly the same again? It felt as I imagine a normal car would with no shock absorbers fitted..
"oleopneumatic" is that as rude as it sounds? [:o)]
He rang me last night, seems his cam belt has gone now [V] and the AA brought it home on a trailer. he only bought it about 6 weeks ago "out of the local paper" he took a mate who "knows a lot about cars" with him and paid a £1,000 for it. Its a nice black shiny one. uh ohh.. lol.
Funny how so many of our friends are car and PC experts huh.. lmho.. [:o)]
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

This is a DS or two.
You can't really predict timing belt failure and all new acquisitions should be treated to a new one. Sadly very few people would get it done in as little time as your mate has had the car. The only fluid suspended cars I have owned were Leylands but I don't think the ride is supposed to bounce like that. My friend has a Xantia and I'm not aware of it being like that.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Thanks 'Reblack' I thought the cars in the pic were Safari's! duhh! lol I think they look great.. :-)
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Just had a horrible thought! Plan "B" wont work?? [:0] [:(!] thinking is --- if the "boss" has a flange one end to take various steering wheels, then my existing (and nice black leather one) Volcane wheel wont fit on it? [:(!]
What I really needed was an extention piece? lets call the existing end of my steering column a "male", ok, so I need a female one end and an identical male on the other in order to re-use my existing wheel?
I will make a drawing, and if the new (unseen as yet) wheel is not dished enough, I will visit some local engineering shops to see what it would cost to have one made. The good thing about it is that I can have it made to any lenght I choose. [:)] If I go down that road, does anyone else want one? Price wise they wont be cheap, machining the internal splines will be the problem. [V]
There is a remote possability that the original manufacturer may supply me with a part-made one? incomplete? i.e. no boss machined on the end and left say 6 inches long for me to get just the one blank end machined to my own specifications. [:)]
I will ring and ask if the wheel they send is unsuitable.. Hmmm I may have to do some very serious groveling. [:I] lol..