Xantia 2.0l HDi do i purchase one ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bradfordlad

Xantia 2.0l HDi do i purchase one ?

Post by bradfordlad »

Well its been a few years since my XM left me and i have been driving around in everything but a Citroen and want one again...Never been in a Xantia or really know much about the 2.0 HDi engine ...Can anyone tell me what the car is like to own,reliability of the engines.

Thanks for now =D>
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Xantia 2.0l HDi do i purchase one ?

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The HDi engine (when maintained properly) is a very solid and reliable engine. There are two levels; one is 90HP (and does not have an intercooler), the other is 110HP and does have the intercooler.

Look at it this way. When Citroen produced the C5 HDi a lot ended up as taxis. Taxi drivers want vehicles that are reliable. The HDi engine is reliable.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I had the 2.0 HDi 110 SX. A very reliable car and very responsive. Every one of my friends who rode in her said they loved the drive. A very reliable engine and I never had a thing go wrong with her in my years of ownership.

As for buying one now, like anything, the age of the car will be against you in terms of things needing doing and the availability of parts for a nearly 20 year old+ vehicle. Of course the HDi was continued on with the C5 and other PSA vehicles in various flavours. Of course the big change from the Xantia to the C5 was the hydraulic system; the later now having an integrated BHI and multiplexed electronics.

If you want a daily commute, then finding a well-maintained Xantia in really good nick is going to be your best but hardest bet. As an example, there are NO Xantias for sale on Autotrader at all, so you may consider plumping for a C5 instead as there are at least more choices. It's a matter of personal taste, but as parts are becoming harder to find for Xantias, I would go for a C5, but good luck in your search.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
clydeowenp
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2000 Citroen Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (waiting repair, burst hydraulic pipe sent it through a hedge!)
1995 Peugeot 106 Roland Garros (converted from petrol to 1.4 diesel)
1963 Triumph based Spartan Roadster kit car 2.5 litre.
2002 Peugeot 307 Rapier 2.0 HDi (In daily use)
2006 Peugeot 307cc Hdi Sport (Getting it ready for the summer)

Post by clydeowenp »

Hi,
I have a 2000 Xantia Exclusive Estate with the 110 engine. I've had the car from new and the only problem I had with the engine was a slight leak on the injector pipes. This was repaired under warranty and was later the subject of a recall so should not be a problem now. Engine is a reliable starter and has plenty of power and torque and is very quiet at motorway speeds. If looked after and oil and filters are changed regularly should last a very long time and give good service.
I had a conversation with the technical guy at my local Citroen dealership and he told me they service many Peugeot and Citroen cars with the Hdi engine, including Taxies and sales reps cars Many have covered over 250 000 miles with just basic maintenance.
Cam belt replacement is recommended at 100 000 miles but make sure it is (or was) done by someone who knows what they're doing. I'm told if the belt isn't correctly fitted and tensioned using the proper gauge it will fail in a short time causing very expensive damage. A kit is available which includes the belt and pulleys this is worth the cost because if the pulleys have done 100 000 miles they're sure to be worn.
In summery I don't regret buying the car and intend to keep it on the road as long as I can. I suspect that if I have to scrap it at some time in the future it will not be because of an engine problem.
Hope this is helpful,
Regards Clyde.
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

I have to agree with Marc - Xantia of any sort are quite thin on the ground (one reason I took the plunge and really invested into my own V6) , so maybe look for a 2 litre HDi C5? I have the 2.2 Exclusive Estate - the xenons are amazing as is the HA3+ suspension, but the engine is a little bit of a headache at times , it was the first of the DPF cars (unlike the early C5 2 litre -no DPF in sight !)
Simon
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I'd say if you are in a position to bide your time then go for it.
If you need the car now or soon you'll have a job finding a good Xantia.
Parts availability can make them difficult as a daily driver as well.
I wouldn't really advise having one as the daily unless you have a second car.
I do have a Xantia as my only car though because I love them but I'm not entirely sensible.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

My 110 is my daily drive, currenttly on 147000, I do 5000 per year, its a lovely drive, I service it, and replace tyres total list since 2013 , a trackrod end, rubber bush on upper engine mount, battery,brake pads, 2 spheres, some bulbs, I blew a lot of waxoyl about when I got it,still reliable and stylish, find a good one !
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Simple answer, yes.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Bick

Post by Bick »

The 2.0hdi is a cracking engine, easy to work on apart from the turbo as its at the back, but they rarely give trouble. They are easily a 300k engine if looked after and they are good on fuel.