C5 suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

zeeshanzaki
My Cars: Citroen C5

C5 suspension

Post by zeeshanzaki »

I noticed couple of times that when the car was lowered after jack up, the suspension drops down to the lowest level. Then i have to wait for couple of minutes to raise them to normal height. I also see some oil on both front suspension. Is this normal behavior or something need to be fixed.
zeeshanzaki

Re: C5 suspension

Post by zeeshanzaki »

Also the fluid level is just below the low level. Will this cause any problems
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

When you say 'jacked up' how did you do this - if you raised the vehicle off the ground with wheels hanging, you should of first raised the car to the highest suspension setting before doing so and then removed the LDS cap before lifting it. When the car is then lowered to the ground, you can replace the cap and then lower the suspension back to normal.

The weight of the wheels hanging freely can cause pressure issues in the system that can cause leaks or even a burst LDS tank if not careful.

As for suspension fluid. This should be checked with the car suspension on the lowest setting, wait for 2-3 minutes and then check the level which should be between the points a & b shown:
As you haven't stated what C5 model you have the top one is for a C5 X7.
LDS X7 Levels.png
This one is fot the C5 MK I and MK II:
LDS Levels.png
It is common for there to be a little oil on the strut near the top - like a damp patch - but it should not be leaking.
Unless there is a specific service operation / reason not to, the suspension should be raised to maximum before lifting or jacking the car, but as said, always raise to high and remove the LDS cap when any more than one wheel will be left hanging unsupported.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
zeeshanzaki

Post by zeeshanzaki »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 10:21 When you say 'jacked up' how did you do this - if you raised the vehicle off the ground with wheels hanging, you should of first raised the car to the highest suspension setting before doing so and then removed the LDS cap before lifting it. When the car is then lowered to the ground, you can replace the cap and then lower the suspension back to normal.

The weight of the wheels hanging freely can cause pressure issues in the system that can cause leaks or even a burst LDS tank if not careful.

As for suspension fluid. This should be checked with the car suspension on the lowest setting, wait for 2-3 minutes and then check the level which should be between the points a & b shown:
As you haven't stated what C5 model you have the top one is for a C5 X7.
LDS X7 Levels.png

This one is fot the C5 MK I and MK II:
LDS Levels.png

It is common for there to be a little oil on the strut near the top - like a damp patch - but it should not be leaking.
Unless there is a specific service operation / reason not to, the suspension should be raised to maximum before lifting or jacking the car, but as said, always raise to high and remove the LDS cap when any more than one wheel will be left hanging unsupported.

Thanks Marc
Mine.is 2001 model.
The struts are lubricated and does nor drip fluid. So its not a problem.
I didn't know that car need to be raised before jacking up but now I will tell mechanic to follow the proper procedure.
This was only came to my notice when mechanic raised the car from driver side and dropped to the ground to prove that the suspensions are leaking and didn't want to pass. But after couple couple of minutes the car came to normal height.
Before that I changed all four tyres a month ago and didn't see suspension to the lowest setting.
So is this sign of something going to fail.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

When I had the front tyres on my C5 MkI replaced I raised her to full height and loosened off the LDS cap (much to the amusement of the tyre fitters). Then, once the work was done, and they lowered the jacks, they were surprised to see her remain at full height. In their experience C5s have always bottomed out, and needed time to come back up to the normal height. They said they would try to remember that trick in the future, as it saves them having to wait to get their jacks back.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 11 Sep 2017, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

zeeshanzaki wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 11:56
Thanks Marc
Mine.is 2001 model.
The struts are lubricated and does nor drip fluid. So its not a problem.
I didn't know that car need to be raised before jacking up but now I will tell mechanic to follow the proper procedure.
This was only came to my notice when mechanic raised the car from driver side and dropped to the ground to prove that the suspensions are leaking and didn't want to pass. But after couple couple of minutes the car came to normal height.
Before that I changed all four tyres a month ago and didn't see suspension to the lowest setting.
So is this sign of something going to fail.
You should never drop the car back to the ground from a height - get a new mechanic it he didn't know that.

I'm not quite sure I understand your last point
Before that I changed all four tyres a month ago and didn't see suspension to the lowest setting
- If you are changing the tyres and the car is being lifted completely off the ground and the wheels are not being supported by the hydraulic lift, then raise the car to highest suspension setting and remove LDS cap. The same applies if they are using a hydraulic lift supporting the car by the jacking points - it doesn't matter which method, but if the wheels are left hanging freely, that will cause pressure issues when returned to the ground if you don't follow the procedure I described before. I always make sure I am there when having tyres fitted, and raise the car and remove the cap myself. I don't trust them to do it properly and many don't even know about it.

Marc
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

suspension_high.jpg
From the manual for my own mk 1 2002 C5 - for any jacking you need to set the suspension to HIGH
Simon
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes,it's good advice in general Simon.

Marc
darbuck
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2008 Citroen C5 X7 Tourer VTR+ (138 BHP)
2007 Nissan Primera P12 1.6 T-Spec (110BHP)
2003 Citroen C5 Estate level 2 (110 BHP) 2.0 HDI
2001 Nissan Maxima QX 2.0 V6

Post by darbuck »

I knew about the height setting, but I was unaware of the need to remove the cap :shock: I must remember that #-o , its true you learn something new every day . The amount of times I could have done damage it doesn't bear thinking about. :oops:
Darren
zeeshanzaki

Post by zeeshanzaki »

I want to top up LDS fluid as it is below low level. Is it easy and safe to top up?
I never drive the brand new Citroen so don't know how the new or properly working suspension performs, but mine are not bad. Does it cause any issue if I don't top top. Or is there any improvement in ride when maintaining fluid level?

There was a crack leak back pipe which might have reduced the fluid level but I fixed that issue. So there is no visible leaking apart from some oil in the suspension.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Assuming that the suspension is working properly it is easy and safe to top up the LDS fluid. Drop the car to her lowest setting, and then wait for a few minutes (this is to allow the LDS to settle down). Open up the LDS reservoir cap, and you will see a grill with some vertical slots. The slots show where the upper and lower fluid points are meant to be. top up the fluid so it is around the upper level marker. Pop the cap back on, and then check the car returns to the normal level correctly.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

zeeshanzaki wrote: 20 Sep 2017, 02:36 I want to top up LDS fluid as it is below low level. Is it easy and safe to top up?
I never drive the brand new Citroen so don't know how the new or properly working suspension performs, but mine are not bad. Does it cause any issue if I don't top top. Or is there any improvement in ride when maintaining fluid level?

There was a crack leak back pipe which might have reduced the fluid level but I fixed that issue. So there is no visible leaking apart from some oil in the suspension.

Look at the diagrams I posted above. Instructions are there, but again, make sure the suspension is on the lowest setting before checking and topping up otherwise you can overfill it and you don’t want to do that.

Marc
zeeshanzaki

Post by zeeshanzaki »

Thanks Marc
I will order LDS and top it up.

I noticed that ride is not as comfortable as it used be couple of month ago. I can feel the bumps when go over the rough road. So there is something happen during last few trips to mechanic. Also the normal height of suspension less than it used to be couple of month ago. I checked the car and there is no LDS leak, so could have cause the issue. Is there any other way to test the suspensions are working fine.

Thanks
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It might need bleeding if the system was a little low on LDS, so when you are checking the levels, follow this guidance to bleed / check levels:
  • Start the engine.
  • Wait for the vehicle height to stabilise.
  • Place the suspension height control in the "HIGH" position.
  • Place the suspension height control in the "LOW" position.
  • Turn the steering from lock to lock in each direction.
  • Stop the engine.
  • Check the LDS fluid level

Marc
zeeshanzaki

Post by zeeshanzaki »

Marc
Do I need to this procedure after topping up fluid or before.