1.9TD injectors swap for NA injectors?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

1.9TD injectors swap for NA injectors?

Post by ekjdm14 »

As per the title really, I'm considering (as a test only really) fitting the spare set of Bosch injectors from the dead NA engine into White's engine (1.9TD Bosch pump)

The only physical difference I've noted is the needle valve tip protrudes maybe 25 thou on the NA injectors and probably only about 4 thou on the TD ones, also from the numbers stamped into the bodies I believe the opening pressure on the TD items I removed are 175bar whereas the NA items are stamped as 130bar.J

ust wondering if I could have some input from someone more experienced in mechanical diesel systems on what the possible effects of fitting injectors with a 45bar lower opening pressure might be.
From my standpoint I can only see it affecting (advancing less than 0.1 deg?) the injector firing point very slightly (on the assumption that liquids do not compress, therefore it'd mean a miniscule difference in crank angle for the pump's pressure to go from 130 to 175 bar anyway) and perhaps remaining open a little longer overall but would be interested to hear from those who actually KNOW what they're talking about as opposed to going on theory.

Please bear in mind I'm not planning to drive the car like this, not even connect the turbo hoses back up, I just want to see if there's any difference to the slight low-speed misfire and grey smoke we had before I go either sweating to remove some TD injectors from a local yard or paying for the originals to be refurbed. If there's some other fundamental reason why I really shouldn't do this I'll just do it right but hey, ya don't ask daft questions ya never learn right?
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: 1.9TD injectors swap for NA injectors?

Post by CitroJim »

Dan, it'll be an interesting and valuable experiment to add to the knowledge... I will be watching with interest ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Re: 1.9TD injectors swap for NA injectors?

Post by ekjdm14 »

Sadly (or not so sadly, really) it's not going to happen now as we grabbed, nay stole, a set of good TD injectors and pump plus some bits for Black for £20 this afternoon so I'll be fitting the correct ones. :) For the record, I did run it with one 130bar injector a while back as it originally seemed to miss more on one cylinder than the rest but nothing really changed that I could tell.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k