2006 diesel Berlingo van engine light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nginmu
My Cars: Jan 2005 Dispatch 815D Enterprise

2006 diesel Berlingo van engine light

Post by nginmu »

Hi, a friend bought a very cheap Berlingo diesel van at auction. I had to do a few bits on it - clutch cable, brake pads, new locks.. otherwise it's turned out to be a good vehicle.

Just one thing remaining he'd like to sort out - the engine warning light is constantly on.

I've connected a basic / 'standard' OBD reader to the OBD port; it connected fine but reported no faults. (Gendan Engine Check Pro IIRC)

With the vehicle ignition at position 1, the engine warning lamp is on, and the OBD reader reports it's on as well.

If I hit 'clear codes' on the reader, it reports success (even though there's nothing to clear) and the reader reports that the engine warning light is now switched off. However, it remains lit on the dash.

If I then start the engine, the reader continues to report 'warning light off', but the lamp on the dash does stay lit.

--------------

I'm guessing the cause of the warning is something inaccessible / citroen specific in one of the van's ecu's? whether engine ecu, brakes computer, airbag etc etc?

I'm wondering what software / series of button presses etc I need to troubleshoot this further. ISTR a while ago when I had a citroen dispatch van, I had to get some special software on a cd.. can't remember what it was called or how i connected it to the vehicle. I might be able to dig it out if it's helpful,,

Any ideas thoughts suggestions gratefully anticipated.. Thanks
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: 2006 diesel Berlingo van engine light

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You will need to use a Diagbox/Lexia system, as only they will communicate properly with the various ECUs. Unless they are very expensive professional OBD readers generic readers do not 'understand' the PSA vehicles.

There are forum members who have Lexia clones, and are willing to help out. Here is the list;

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=56452
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
nginmu
My Cars: Jan 2005 Dispatch 815D Enterprise

Re: 2006 diesel Berlingo van engine light

Post by nginmu »

Thanks for your help :-)

I found my old CD which I had for my old 2004 Dispatch. It's labelled...

LEXIA 3 v 45
Cable: ACTIA PSA EVOLUTION XS INTERFACE ETC.
OLDER VEHICLES REQUIRE 30 PIN PLUG

IIRC I never actually used this software. Would it be suitable for the Berlingo?

Where could I get the right cable, or maybe specs to build a suitable cable? Is it just a plain although proprietary cable, or is it like the generic USB OBD adapters, with a box of chips included in the middle of the cable?

I'm ok with electronics assembly & basic programming but if it involves much more than a solder-by-numbers job & maybe programming a microcontroller with precompiled code, I'd deffo be better either obtaining a pre-made interface or seeking the help of someone who already has suitable hardware..

[edit] on further reading, I guess I need "a lexia" or "a diagbox".. maybe something like eBay item number: 122586086176 ?