Xantia dashboard clocks

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

richie989
My Cars: Xantia 2.0 hdi 110 80k

Xantia dashboard clocks

Post by richie989 »

Firstly hello and thank you to everyone in this forum for all the useful advice, very good info here for rebuilding my old s2 hdi. From heater diagnostics to dowty seals modifications my old s2 is now back on the road!

My question is if any one can advise me, I'm about to remove the dash to replace the heater matrix and want to either fix or replace the dashboard clocks as the rev counter no longer works, the needle just points straight down and does not move. If I replace the complete cluster with a second hand one how would the mileage alter? is it stored in the ECU or such or the cluster itself? Could I use lexia software to correct the mileage or would it be better to try and repair the old cluster rev counter? Has anyone any experience with this, is it just the case of the needle come loose or something internally with the instrument panel?
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Re: Xantia dashboard clocks

Post by MikeT »

IIRC, the rev counter can flip all the way round clockwise and it can also right itself back anticlockwise at ignition on.
I did try poking a straightened paperclip through the dial hole to flip the needle back but can't recommend it as I ended up permanently marking the clock face. If you're taking the dash out, you may be able to use gravity and momentum to swing it back (anti-clockwise).
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Regarding the mileage - it is usually stored in both the main CPU (referred to as the Body Computer on the Xantia II) and the module in the dash - so if replacing one or the other the vehicle will display whichever has the highest mileage. It could be that the total recorded mileage is only stored in the Body Computer.. I know that the maintenance indicators are preset at factory at 6k miles for diesel and 10k miles for petrol engine service intervals and cannot be adjusted.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
richie989

Post by richie989 »

Thanks for the info, the rev counter points to 6 o'clock and has been like that for the last 7 years its never moved at any point from that position not even in the slightest, do these normally work ok once turned back? Is there anything I should adjust repair or check for bad / loose connections, dry solder joints etc? Just to stop it happening again? I will be taking the dash out next week not looking forward to it as it sounds like a pig of a job! but it has to be done!
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Yes, it worked fine once repositioned.
Don't rely on my memory but on my Xantia, I believe it was more like @7o'clock, just under the stop rest. I have read others suffering the same on their Xantia's (perhaps a search will turn up more useful info).
richie989

Post by richie989 »

Great, cheers I will give it a go next week, it might be after the stopper so it would make sense why it won't go back to normal use