front brake problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mr blue sky 75
My Cars: xsara picassso 2003

front brake problems

Post by Mr blue sky 75 »

Hi today i changed my brake pads on my XSARA PICASSO 2003 2.0 HDI after watching a you tube video i opened cap on brake fluid reservoir before i pushed back pistons but some spilled out and brake fluid is level with reservoir also when pressing brake l/h side i can hear air coming out,,,Thanks any help would be great..
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Re: front brake problems

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

did you check out 'how to bleed brakes'? Various videos online. Best done with an assistant. Open the nipple before pushing the pedal down, close it before bringing it up.

Pedal should have only a short travel, 1/4 pedal or less and certainly no more than it was before you replaced the pads.

If the bleed nipple don't want to move, don't put loads of force on the spanner to open it and sheer it off, then you're really in trouble. I favour a rotary wire brush on a drill around it, and just one sharp tap with a hammer on its head, to minimise this risk [idea is the tap further dislodges any rust on the thread].

if there's any doubt about the safety of your front brakes, have a garage look at 'em immediately, they're your key 'stoppers'
Puxa
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Would you mind elaborating on your comment of air coming out please?
(ie exactly where does the sound come from?)
Did you manage to get the excess fluid out of the reservoir btw?
Cheers.
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7) - RIP April 2024

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Mr blue sky 75 wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 21:53 ..........opened cap on brake fluid reservoir before i pushed back pistons but some spilled out and brake fluid is level with reservoir .............

This could be a case of an over enthusiastic "mechanic" topping up the brake fluid between pad changes, typically this can happen when the fluid is changed.

Note - if you are ever going to do a fluid change and not change all pads a disks, mark the fluid level on the reservoir before you start and top up again to this mark.
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
Mr blue sky 75
My Cars: xsara picassso 2003

Post by Mr blue sky 75 »

Thanks for all the advice...monkeyfeet yes i syringed the excess fluid out and the air was coming out was from the left wheel /caliper but when i tried the brakes in my moms fiat panda i heard the exact same noise (i must of not recognized the noise before)..any way today ive drove nearly 400 miles birmingham to saundersfoot Wales with no brake problems at all...But on way back Engine management light came on with 3 beeps and a loss of power. i pulled over switched off ignition then back on and still no power,switched off again left for 1 min tried again had full power and no more problems,but eml is still on...THANKS any help would be great.