Xantia fit electric mirror instead of mechanical?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

John Plum
My Cars:

Xantia fit electric mirror instead of mechanical?

Post by John Plum »

:sun: :?: Is it easily possible to wire in an electric mirror to replace a mechanical mirror on the driver side of a Xantia 2? How to I connect the terminals to the loom, and a switch? Thanks guys.
John Plum
Xantia II Estate,1999, 2.0 HDI LX, 17000 miles, manual
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Re: Xantia fit electric mirror instead of mechanical?

Post by admiral51 »

Have you checked to see if the wiring is already in place ?
They may have fitted a full wiring loom even though the fit out spec did not require it.

As per your question...
Doable, easy is questionable
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Unfortunately, the full loom to the door isn't there. with required feeds/connectors. Maybe I can simply splice it in to a switch. Does the switch go on the door, in place of the mechanical lever?

No sure what feeds to the door would be best to take off.. any suggestions, or would any single 12 volt feed be OK?
John Plum
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

From what little info i have of Auto wiring and a little more experience of Xantias this is only an opinion.
The mirror itself will have a motor behind it that will give it 4 way movement ( up/down/left/right) and i guess 90% it will also have a heating element ( linked to the rear window demister switch ).
The power draw for the heating element will mean it needs to be run through a relay as the switch itself willl not be man enough to cope with it.
That means it needs to be run through the main fuse box so lots of wiring to and fro.
If it is just a case of replacing the manual mirror because it is broken and you have an electric one on hand, i would just swap them, yes you will need the blank plastic interior cover for the door, and just adjust the mirror position by hand to suit.
Only my opinion, others i am sure will have done the conversion but it is not something to undertake lightly.
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Yes it was a broken unit I had to replace, with an electric unit on hand - actually it was cheap and a lucas unit, whereas I couldn't get a s/h driver side mechanical after a few weeks!

I think hand adjustment would be the way. Actually I prefer it. I was pretending to be modern for some silly reason. :-D
John Plum