LOCKED OUT of C5 II..... HELP!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Calvadosian
My Cars: Current: 2CV6 Special, C5 II 2.0HDi VTR Break Auto', Renault Modus Privelege.
In the past: 20+ 2CV's (50's to 90), Ami Service Van, Dyane, Acadiane, Traction Avant Light 15 (Slough Built), 20+ BX, Visa (various), AX GT, CX (various), C8, C5 I & II, Renault Dauphine, Solex mopeds....

LOCKED OUT of C5 II..... HELP!

Post by Calvadosian »

Hello all,
I might be asking the impossible, but my one and only key/remote are in the ignition and my car has locked itself!?!
Obviously, I am desperate to enter the car at the earliest time.

My C5 is a phase II, 2.0 hdi 138 automatic estate - late 2006.
Fortunately the car is in front of my garage. I live in Calvados, France where main dealers and locksmiths are extortionately expensive.

I do not know if the alarm is activated....

PLEASE, anybody know the solution? I'm stuck with using the wife's Modus.

Many thanks for reading this.... ever hopeful in France!!
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 31 Jul 2017, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Editied for security content
Had too many to list, and spend more time looking for the problem than fixing them these days.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: LOCKED OUT of C5 II..... HELP!

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You should be able to just get a key ordered without the fob - assuming you have relevant documents - I think our C3 fobs and key was about £140 - so just the key should be a lot cheaper. At least you will be able to unlock the car and then deactivate the alarm with the one already in the car. Either that or a brick through the side window to retrieve the key - might be cheaper claiming under windscreen cover on your insurance with the standard windscreen excess - that shouldn't affect your NCB. I don't know any other way because as you say it is all electronic. - there is a way to open the tailgate - but from the inside - which isn't any help. Plus, if the car deadlocks by default (it was an option on some whether it deadlocked on the first or second press of the fob) then you won't be able to open the doors from the inside either. So I'm thinking cheapest option is the window (depending on your insurance policy of course).

I just can't fathom at present how this occurred to be honest as this is not supposed to be able to happen....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

While I am unable to help, I hope that somebody else can. However, it is almost certain that (assuming what you are asking can be done) you will be contacted via the Private Message (PM) system of this forum, as the information you are asking for could also enable people with a less than ideal attitude to other peoples' property to gain access to locked vehicles (so I would suggest you delete your explanation of accessing locked BXs' for that reason).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

You're in France, surely a French locksmith would have this open in seconds.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Post by ekjdm14 »

I'd go for a window myself, knowing the key was in there & the car insecure from anyone with a mind to do the same would drive me mad!

If you do opt for this, a scrapyard window shouldn't cost too much and if you hit a drop glass you can change it yourself without involving insurance excess or suchlike. Before smashing it I'd cover the whole thing with duct tape & break it with a hammer & punch in one corner then pull the shattered glass outward to minimise the mess you make inside the car.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Really depends if it's deadlocked though.
I'd try the old coat hanger between the window seal and the top of the window.
Only if I found I couldn't unlock it or open it with the handle like that would I break a window.

If you have breakdown cover or a friend who is a mechanic Citroen will divulge the emergency way in to them.
Don't know what it is but on one of my Dads cars the way in was to smash the rear foglight and there was an emergency lock release just behind it.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's why I mentioned whether it was deadlocked - as the rod is linked to the interior door handle - which won't operate the lock if enabled. It also has an anti intrusion protector in place to prevent (or at least make this very difficult) too. I think the window is the likely option in this scenario and a good reason for keeping a spare!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
elma

Post by elma »

Understood but if its not known weather its deadlocked its wort trying fishing first.
I've got into a mercedes that way using a stick from the side of the road in the past.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Can you see the keys ?
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

wheeler wrote: 31 Jul 2017, 19:22 Can you see the keys ?

I was going to say that if the keys are in the ignition, I would try flexing the door frame enough to get a wire in to fish them out, or even try to press the unlock button on the fob. I suppose that it is a LHD car, so you would have to work from the passenger side.
elma

Post by elma »

Thats an even better idea.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

If the keys are visible thats your best bet, use a long rod through a wedged gap in the door & press the unlock button on the fob.
If they are in the ignition, flick the ignition on with a rod (yes may be difficult on LHD) the just operate one of the window switches.
Calvadosian
My Cars: Current: 2CV6 Special, C5 II 2.0HDi VTR Break Auto', Renault Modus Privelege.
In the past: 20+ 2CV's (50's to 90), Ami Service Van, Dyane, Acadiane, Traction Avant Light 15 (Slough Built), 20+ BX, Visa (various), AX GT, CX (various), C8, C5 I & II, Renault Dauphine, Solex mopeds....

Post by Calvadosian »

Wow, thanks for all the ideas and comments.
Not that it is important, but it is a RHD car (now French registered). The key is actually in the ignition / steering lock, but not turned on. Although the locals would be daft enough to steal a C5, car theft just isn't a problem here. Plus, they would have a 90 metre drive, my dog and my wife to get past !!

The current situation is that I have contacted a UK locksmith to try and obtain a key without transponder, as I only need it to enter the vehicle, not to start the motor. (A French locksmith might be the next step, but they are painfully more expensive).
My next approach would be the welding rod in a door idea.
The last resort will be broken glass on the insurance, but a bit messy. (Thank you 'ekjdm14' for the ideas regarding tape....)

My worry is how it could have happened. Although it's my third C5, this one is just plain naughty!! This event and other symptoms do point towards a wiring fault anywhere between drivers door and the BSI. (Heater functioning erratic, other than physical motor / flap problems. Driver's door has 'problem' controlling nearside windows).

Unfortunately I need to remove the fascia/heater unit for repairs to heater fans and flap motors.... have been reluctant as I've never removed an airbag and am a little nervous. Anyone have experience of this?
Had too many to list, and spend more time looking for the problem than fixing them these days.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

May I make a couple of suggestions? Once you gain access to the car, a BSi reset might clear those issues you are having (although the window issue might be dirty connections; I will explain later on in this post). This is how you perform the BSi reset;

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 11&t=40407

I would also suggest that, as soon as you can, you get a second (full) key for the car. You will need the security code (to allow access to the relevant Lexia menus), and all of the keys (as any that are not coded during the session are 'forgotten'). There are forum members who have Lexia clones, and are willing to help out;

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=56452

My C5 had an issue with the window switch (it would not automatically close one window, and a Lexia session indicated the switch module was at fault). I lifted the module out of the door (six spring clips hold it in), stripped down the switch (nine clips holding the bottom cover on), and then cleaned the circuit board and contacts membrane. Once I refitted it full control of the windows was resumed.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Calvadosian

Post by Calvadosian »

Thank you James.
When I gain entry, I will certainly try the switch module clean.
Fortunately I have a dedicated laptop with Lexia clone, so a spare key/remote is a certainty.
Is there any way to find out my security code?
George