Aux belt flapping and making a deep rumbling noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Re: Aux belt flapping and making a deep rumbling noise

Post by Zelandeth »

I was always taught that any turbocharged engine should be treated with synthetic oil due to the high temperatures encountered in the turbocharger. These can cause the oil to break down and excessive sludging to form.

How true versus how much this was the mechanic who told me just covering his behind I'm not sure.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Turbocharged commercials were doing millions on their turbos before synthetic came along though. When the first FX4 Taxi with the Nissan 2.7 turbo came out, the drivers were using good mineral oil and knocking up 400k on them. Millers told me at that time that their top diesel oil FXE I think, would only protect me better in really cold start ups. For XUD, they said their Multifleet mineral was plenty good as all their mixed fleet oils were turbo suitable. The other main advantage of synthetics is the better spread of viscocity. They jump the numbers much better, from say 5 or 10 to 40. Minerals are really at their best at say 10- 30 or 15- 40.
The super modern engines need these thin or stretchy oils, so Synthetic is best for them
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've always practised very regular and frequent oil changes...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
johnny625
My Cars: Citroen Xsara 1.9 td

Post by johnny625 »

Much to my relief virtually all of the vibration of the belt and the associated rumbling has gone away after fitting a clutch/damper pulley on the alternator. Off the shelf the pulley did not fit perfectly right on the alternator and the pulley was sticking out a bit in comparison to the other pulleys. Nevertheless things are easy when you have a friend with a metalworking lathe. :-D

Five mins of machining the pulley on the lathe and we have achieved a perfect fit. :)

However I have another possible issue. Is a boost leak on a XUD easily audible? The turbo sounds normal to me, no smoke on boost, however the car feels down on power slightly. I have checked the D seal, its not broken but it seems a bit flat or squashed to me. No oily residue which would suggest a boost leak. Can actually the inter cooler itself leak?

Now granted the weather is very hot approaching 40 degrees C during the mid day. Does this affects XUD's greatly? I know that naturally aspirated cars are affected negatively in terms of power during very hot weather.

I just have so many questions, sorry. :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Boost leaks usually are audible...

Is your intercooler a top-mount or a front-mount?

If the former they suffer badly from heat-soak in hot weather and that could account for it...

Biggest boost related problem with an XUD is perishing of the little boost sense pipe that goes from the inlet trunking to the injection pump.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
johnny625
My Cars: Citroen Xsara 1.9 td

Post by johnny625 »

The intercooler is top mount one. I guess it could be just heat soak then. Nevertheless, I do think about installing a boost gauge anyway. Just to check the boost.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good idea on the boost gauge!

I had a Pug 405 TD with a top-mount intercooler and that suffered terribly from heat-soak in warm weather and slow-moving traffic...
Jim