Aux belt flapping and making a deep rumbling noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johnny625
My Cars: Citroen Xsara 1.9 td

Re: Aux belt flapping and making a deep rumbling noise

Post by johnny625 »

I don't have a compression tester and getting one that is suitable for measuring diesel compression might be a challenge. Nevertheless I will try to do a compression test. I had arranged for the alternator clutch pulley to be tested on the car first before I buy it. If it solves the belt flapping issue I will buy it happily.

Being under the car today I noticed a another slight issue. The slight oil leak that I had seems to be mostly coming from the head gasket on the back side of the engine. :(

Now its not a big leak and the car almost never drips oil on the ground and when it does its mostly a coin sized blob at the most. I know that XUD's can go on for ages with this type of a leak and they are somewhat known for leaking oil at higher mileages. I am however afraid that oil can find a path into the cam belt area which might contaminate the belt. I have no symptoms of HG failure, no overheating even in the scorching hot summers around here while going uphill with the ac on full blast. No coolant use, no over pressure in the cooling system, etc.

What it your advice?

Would a rather comprehensive job on the engine (head off, new head gasket, valve guides, etc. ) stands a chance at sealing it cause I hate leaking engines. To my knowledge the head has never been of the engine. The whole job above might only cost about 100 to 150 euros around here and I got to know a brilliant independent mechanic that knows french cars like the back of his hand (and he drives a Renault Laguna himself which does tell a lot :lol:). I think that he will do an admirable job though I am not sure whether is worth doing only due to the slight oil leak.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

You sure it's not the rocker gasket? They leak for fun and are a doodle to change.
I've never seen a healthily running Xud9 leak oil from the head gasket.
johnny625

Post by johnny625 »

It certainly looked like the head gasket. The exhaust manifold above it seemed to be bone dry. The rocker gasket is somewhat suspect and I might have a go at changing it. However do I need to also put silicone sealer on the new gasket? Some say it will seal better that way.
elma

Post by elma »

I never did on any of mine, it might be worth a bit in the corners as they go straight into a curve and thats the bit that seems to go.

If you are leaking oil from the HG the uneven combustion theory seems more credible.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Leaking oil from the head gasket is possible, the feed to the rockers goes pretty close to the corner and usually leaks out there, not a common problem though, much more likely to be the valve cover, crankcase pressure overcoming the gasket.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
johnny625

Post by johnny625 »

Today I had a go at investigating the oil leak. I took out the inter cooler and to my surprise it was nearly bone dry. It only had the slightest amount of oil inside. Nevertheless I gave it a good wash with a degreaser both inside and out. The rocker cover gasket seemed somewhat suspect so I bought another one and got it on the engine. Started her up, took her for a decent test drive, no leaks, yay. So much for the good news.

Now, the bad news:

The head gasket is definitely leaking oil. It seems to the be the back of the engine right on the very corners just as Gibbo2286 mentioned. Now its not a huge leak, likely not even a major one as the car doesn't seem to lose oil noticeably nor it drips often on the ground when parked. For now I will just ignore it or maybe that's not so wise choice?

The alternator clutch pulley test will be done on Friday morning even if I hoped it will be today. In the mean time I will avoid keeping the revs in the 'resonance range' which seems to be from idle up to 1300 rpms or so.

Bit of an advice on oil suitability for an XUD. As I plan to change the oil soon, is Total Quartz 7000 Diesel 10W-40 oil suitable for an XUD? It says synthetic based or maybe it should be better if I stick with a mineral oil?
elma

Post by elma »

I used 10w40 a3/b4 semi syntheric in mine.
The totals over spec but quite auitable as far as I'm aware.
I'd avoid mineral oil peraonally.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote: 01 Aug 2017, 23:16I'd avoid mineral oil peraonally.

Why?

I've been using 10w/40 diesel fleet oil in all my vehicles for years and never had a problem...

Specifically, I use the stuff that comes in 2ol drums from Costco...

I now have enough in stock to last me for several years at current consumption rates!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma

Post by elma »

I experimented when I started doing my own servicing and I think semi synthetic runs smoother.
That's why it's personally, I don't know of any evidence to say that mineral oil isn't good, I just prefer semi synth.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

CitroJim wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 10:44
elma wrote: 01 Aug 2017, 23:16I'd avoid mineral oil peraonally.

Why?

I've been using 10w/40 diesel fleet oil in all my vehicles for years and never had a problem...

Specifically, I use the stuff that comes in 2ol drums from Costco...

I now have enough in stock to last me for several years at current consumption rates!

But you do not have many cars with modern DPF and it's related Anti-Pol systems Jim....
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 10:48 I experimented when I started doing my own servicing and I think semi synthetic runs smoother.
That's why it's personally, I don't know of any evidence to say that mineral oil isn't good, I just prefer semi synth.

That's fair dos... I know that differing oils do indeed seem to run differently... I have noticed same myself...

I always remember back years ago the old green Duckhams 'Q' 20/50 oil made BMC A Series engines run as rough as guts... They much preferred Castrol GTX...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 10:52 But you do not have many cars with modern DPF and it's related Anti-Pol systems Jim....

Not many Alasdair but I use it is Sian's Pixo and my 207 without issues ;)

The only car I can't is Robyn's C1 as that needs 5w/30...

For that I have a small drum of 5w/30 fleet oil ;)
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

CitroJim wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 10:52 I always remember back years ago the old green Duckhams 'Q' 20/50 oil made BMC A Series engines run as rough as guts... They much preferred Castrol GTX...

Thats my favourite too.
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

Been using Castrol 15/40 in my old XUD - changes every 6000 miles. In the HDI with DPF its 10/40 semi
Simon
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I just use what the handbook recommends :-D in my current C5 it's Total Quartz 5-30
I think modern engines need what the maker decided was best, they after all did the testing alongside the oil compNY.

Back in the day, from about 1956 I always used BP Visco-static or for the bangers Duckhams Q 20/50, prior to that it was simple 20 or 30 or 40 depending on how worn the engine was.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.