low power, then cuts out. C5 2.0hdi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

2cvandy
My Cars: 2002 C5 break, 2.0HDI
1989 2CV

low power, then cuts out. C5 2.0hdi

Post by 2cvandy »

Hello folks,
hopefully someone can point me in the right direction on this one;

2002 C5 2.0hdi exclusive estate.
Over the last week or so she's developed an annoying habit of cutting out occasionally, just feels as if you'd turned it off at the key.
Sometimes, just before cutting out it feels down on power, pulling away from junctions especially, and sometimes it does the low power thing without cutting out.
Every time it has cut out it has been whilst slowing on a closed throttle, approaching roundabouts for instance, (that's a great place to cut out, just when the guy behind has seen the road is clear and is getting back on the gas!)
Normally I coast to a halt and it fires up no problem and drives fine, until the next time.
Once yesterday, it re-started okay, but as soon as I pressed the accelerator it died. It did that 4 times then fired up and ran fine.
Just been out in it this morning and covered 50 miles with no problem at all, but then yesterday, I'd done 120 miles before the problem showed up.
Rang our usual garage this morning but they can't look at it until 9th August (I'm in France, and it's holiday season so half the mechanics are away sunbathing).

Any thoughts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
If speed kills, buy a 2CV and live forever.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: low power, then cuts out. C5 2.0hdi

Post by Peter.N. »

I know this sounds daft but check the oil level. I had this problem on mine, it nearly always happened at the bottom of a hill or after braking, it remained a puzzle until one day I happened coming down the steep forest track to our house and I just noticed the 'low oil' light flash on.

On checking it the oil wasn't all that low but it seems that when going down a steep hill or braking you get a momentary loss of oil pressure and although I have seen no reference to it there must be a 'no oil pressure' engine shutdown on them.

Having topped it up, no further problem.

If its not that try the fuel filter and pressure regulator valve on the HP pump.

Peter
2cvandy
1989 2CV

Post by 2cvandy »

Hi Peter,
thanks for the input.
Fuel filter is (hopefully) okay, new one fitted at 180,000 mile service 1200 miles ago.
Pressure regulator valve sounds worth checking, but I have to confess I wouldn't know how, any ideas?
Oil level is bang on the max mark, (I've just checked to make sure). as it always is, I've never had to top it up between services but I do check it before a long trip "just in case".
The low oil pressure thing could be a lead though, (although I've learned with the C5 that it can throw you lots of red herrings too) a couple of months ago we had an "oil pressure insufficient" warning flash up. I checked the level was okay, the car sounded fine and wasn't overheating or making any untoward noises so I re-started it. The warning had gone and it drove perfectly. Same thing happened a couple of times over the next week so I fitted a new oil pressure switch (assuming it was faulty).
It's been fine since, but now I'm wondering if there's something stored in the memory bank somewhere telling the car the oil pressure is low? I don't know how likely that is tbh, when it was telling me the oil pressure was low it didn't shut down, it just told me to stop.
Incidentally, there are no warning messages flashing up with our current fault.

Sometimes I do miss the old days,,,,, when my car wasn't cleverer than me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Me to :) :?

The regulator is on the back of the HP diesel pump, assuming yours is an 8 valve engine, two screws and a plug to remove but you have to take off the fuel filter first, the screws will probably be torx but have seen one with philips. There is a filter on it that looks like a stainless steel tube, very small holes, difficult to clean but a secondhand one should be quite cheap. I can't say of course that is the problem but I have had all sorts trouble with them.

I had no light on with mine apart from the one occasion when I saw the oil pressure light just blink. My engine was using a little oil but having kept it topped up after that, never had the problem again. I think there is an oil level sensor in the side of the sump somewhere.

Symptoms with mine were very similar except that mine just completely cut out, no hesitation, turn it off for a minute and it would start again.

Peter
2cvandy
1989 2CV

Post by 2cvandy »

Well as Toyah once sang,,,, "it's a mystery"

I've cancelled the appointment at our local Citroen garage on Monday, because ever since I booked it the car has ran perfectly, and I figure they're going to struggle to find the problem while it's showing no symptoms.

No hesitation, no loss of power, no cutting out.
I've covered 400 miles this week and it's ran faultlessly.
?????????????????
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

2cvandy wrote: 05 Aug 2017, 16:20Well as Toyah once sang,,,, "it's a mystery"
Ah, Toyah.
IMG_0248a.JPG
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​