C crosser clutch problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johntom

C crosser clutch problem

Post by johntom »

Hi
My recently acquired 2008 c crosser 2.2d had a very low biting point on the clutch, however after being parked up for 3 days I can't engage a gear whilst the engine is running (and no reverse at all). The pedal has movement but its a bit sloppy, I suspect either the slave or master cylinder, how do I know which or could it be something else ?
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Re: C crosser clutch problem

Post by flying clutchman »

One of the cylinders is most likely. Check both for signs of leaks.
johntom

Post by johntom »

Hi
Is the slave inside the gearbox housing ?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Might be worth calling a Citroen dealer with your chassis number, there was a recall on the early ones for the clutch slave cylinders. See if yours was done. If i remember right the slave cylinder & release bearing are the same unit
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Looks like it is combined slave / release inside the bell housing.
Richard W
johntom

Post by johntom »

Had a look around and the master cylinder looks dry, but there's signs of dampness around the bleed valve where it enters the gearbox?
johntom

Post by johntom »

I've tried beeding the clutch but there doesn't seem to fluid flowing through the bleed tube. I do I tell if it's the slave or the master as the master cylinder is dry and I can't see the slave?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

You should get a decent squirt of fluid if you depress the clutch pedal with the bleed screw open - if not I would suspect the master. Assuming that there is fluid in the reservoir of course! Sadly the master is £300 and a 4 hour job to fit...mind you that's better than the clutch which is a 10 hour job involving removing the engine...
Richard W
johntom

Post by johntom »

Thanks for the good news !
Whilst trying to bleed it, the fluid level was maintained above the max. level, however the flow was at the best intermittent. Now pumping the pedal (have to lift it back up) doesn't produce a flow. Is it possible to test the master cylinder?
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

if it is the MC I wonder if it can be rebuilt with new seals ?
johntom

Post by johntom »

Hi
Update, tonight I have replaced the master cylinder (30 minute job) however I can't seem to bleed the air out of the system, (although there is a good flow now) after 1/4 litre the fluid still contains bubbles. Does mean its the slave or could I not be bleeding it correctly ?
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

The workshop manual merely says to open the bleed valve, press down the pedal, close the bleed valve, lift the pedal...... repeat until no bubbles :? It reckons about 5 cycles before needing to top up the reservoir.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
johntom

Post by johntom »

Ok thanks
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

I used to find on clutches stamp on the pedal about 5-6 times and keep down whilst someone opens and closes the bleed screw. Repeat process a number of times.
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
johntom

Post by johntom »

Further problems!
I had a mobile mechanic come out (as I couldn't move the car) he said the concentric slave cylinder had failed so I bit the bullet and left him to replace the 3 piece luk clutch I had bought (at my parents whilst I was on holiday). When he finished the job my parents said he took the car for a drive (apparently he shot off like a rocket) then returned and said if would need a power bleed to finalise. He hasn't been back since.
I got in the car today, started it up and couldn't get any gears, with the engine off I could get some gears but not all !
When I get some one to push the clutch pedal whilst I hold the master cylinder I can feel the movement and there is a slight creak heard from the clutch area as though something is moving,
Questions, could he have fitted the clutch plate the wrong way round and how do I tell as I can't get hold of the mechanic ?
And if it just needed bleeding wouldn't i be able to get all gears with the engine off, it seems as though the clutch is now permanently engaged?