no heater

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mickrochip
My Cars: 2004 c5 2.0l 16v hdi (facelift model)

no heater

Post by mickrochip »

howdy folks,
I need help with a problem on my 04 2.0l hdi c5. My heater motor will not work , no power is coming to motor. all functions correct in multi screen , could this problem be a relay, if so where is it situated, or a resistor, where is it situated , I have searched the places that have been advised to look ,beside clutch pedal
I have been told that this motor has the resistor built in, please help me as this is the best car that I have had for a long time, I would like to keep this car on the road,as they are getting thin on the ground so if any one can help me sort this problem I will be very gratefull
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: no heater

Post by RichardW »

The resistor may well be in the passenger side - although the parts diagram shows them both in the driver's footwell, we've had this discussion before, and some cars have it fitted in the passenger foot well (ones with climate control perhaps).
Richard W
mickrochip
My Cars: 2004 c5 2.0l 16v hdi (facelift model)

Post by mickrochip »

thank you for your quick reply,
i have looked in drivers side footwell at clutch level, passengers side behind glove box , but not in pass. footwell yet . will have a look tomorrow, by the way when using lexia dig. it also said pass.compartment sensor not working
citro6hydra
My Cars: C5 2006 2.0l petrol auto
C5 2007 HDI auto
C5 2006 HDI
C5 2006 HDI bought damaged under repair

Post by citro6hydra »

Hi Microchip,
The heater resistor is in a c5 located on the side of the heater assy low down towards the front in the drivers footwell you will need to remove the small trim panel and pull the carpet back. You should be able to identify it by from memory 3 quite thick cables 1red, 1black and another going to a connector together with some much thinner wires, the resistor is held in by two hex headed screws ( 6mm hex I think ).

When you remove it you will I think you will find it is actually an electronic variable speed control with an aluminium heatsink which is cooled by the air from the blower. The connector contacts are quite small and really not adequate for the current taken by the motor and you may find evidence of overheated plastic around the pins.

It is possible to bypass the pins and solder the thick cables to the PCB but a very common cause of failure is the mosftet which actually provides the speed control, this can be replaced as a part from an electronics dealer. I've 3 C5s an 04 06 and 07 repaired the unit in one and replaced it in another it is not a difficult job. The electronic unit appears to be used in all models here but of course I've no first hand knowledge of any sold in the UK.