C5 left hand side mirror

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

atr
My Cars: Xantia 2.0l 16v 2001 petrol
C5 mkII 2.0l petrol sx pack 2007
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

C5 left hand side mirror

Post by atr »

Hi
Today, while driving to work, a taxi cab pushed himself into my lane (that is a common behavior of taxi drivers here in Israel) causing me to divert left in order to avoid collide him, which unfortunately caused me to hit and break my left hand side mirror (driver side). I want to try and get a mirror from a breaker, but in the meantime I want to try to attach the mirror temporarily but to do that I have to disable the function of "folding" the mirror, so I want to disconnect the wire that supplies the 12V to the motor that turns the mirror. so, after taking advantage of your patience, I would like to ask if any of you have the diagram of the wire harness leading to the the mirror and willing to share it. I don't know if there is a difference - but take into consideration that it is a LHD vehicle.
Thanx.
p.s. if anyone knows a breakyard that might have the mirror and willing to ship to Israel - plz let me know.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Re: C5 left hand side mirror

Post by EDC5 »

I'm not sure if the Xantia is anything like the C5 but is it not possible to disable auto folding mirrors from the car config menu?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You shouldn't really need to do anything to the wiring. Are you talking about the C5 or the Xantia? If it's the C5 and it is the foldback option when locking the car, you can deactivate it yourself. Engine off, ignition on, place the left / right mirror control into the middle position, then pull back for 5-10 seconds. ignition off - there is no visual or audible info to say you have deactivated it - just test it when locking. It is the same procedure to reactivate them.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
atr
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Post by atr »

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough - it's about the C5.
atr
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Post by atr »

I would like to ask for your help again. I've found at a breakyard a mirror and I would like to ask for your guidance /instruction hoe to replace the mirror. do I have to take off all the door panel or there is a way to dismantle only a part of it? any tips to avoid causing damage? thanx for all the help that you're able to offer.
one more thing - is there a way to change the outer shell of the mirror? I would like to remove the one that I've bought since its color is not as the color of the vehicle and the the outer shell of the original mirror is not damaged and in good shape.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Avi, below are a couple of diagrams to help you with changing the mirror glass:
C5 LHD Mirror Glass A.png
Removing the Glass Mirror
Unclip the clip ( 1), Using a thin screwdriver.
Disconnect the connector (3) (according to equipment).
Remove the glass (2) from the mirror .
C5 LHD Mirror Glass B.png
Replacing the Glass Mirror
Ensure that the spring clip ( 1) is correctly located in its mounting.
Reconnect the connector (3) (according to equipment).
Clip the unit onto its support.

You can replace the outer shell of the mirror (the casing). They are generally supplied unpainted from a dealer - necessitating a lot of prep and painting - so assuming you will be trying to source an identical coloured one, this should show you how it is clipped on:
C5 LHD Mirror Parts C.png

Marc
atr
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Post by atr »

Hi Marc and thanx for your explanations. I'm afraid I was misunderstood. it's not the glass that was broken. the glass is in tact. the whole mirror was broken - the pivot that the mirror is turning on was broken. as far as I can tell - the whole unit (with the triangle base that is attached to the door with the three screws) needs to be replaced. I wish only the had been broken, it would've been much easier.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, the complete mirror is available from Europe (but can be expensive as yours is the driver's left hand mirror), but there is a company called Alkar (Spanish I think) that make replacement new mirrors and other components for various manufacturers. This is the one for your car:
The PSA part number is 8149 WL (for the complete mirror, excluding the shell, but most second-hand ones will be complete no doubt)
The equivalent Alkar part number for your car is: 6129852
This is the link to Alkar for more info - as you can see it is electrically foldable and comes unpainted with the shell (but I think you'll need to locate a reseller):
http://www.alkar.es/en/online-shop/mirrors/6129852.html

and here is a link to an ebay (UK seller) selling these new - the only trouble is this particular seller doesn't seem to ship to Israel Avi. :cry:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outside-Mirro ... 2548.l4275

It may be worth having a search and contacting some of these regarding shipping though. There was another one I saw that does ship to Israel , the same Alkar mirror from another company, although the shipping was a bit more than the cost of the mirror - but still less expensive than the second hand ones I've seen in Denmark that wanted over £230!
Here is the link, it was £64 new and £74 postage. The £64 cost includes VAT at 20%, so whether they would take this off the price - might be worth an ask...

https://spareto.co.uk/products/6129852-outside-mirror

Marc
atr
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Post by atr »

Hi Marc and really thanx to your efforts and time. as I've mentioned before - I've bought a complete mirror from a carbreakers yard. the color of the shell is some sort of red and I intend to "swap" it with the original shell from my mirror that was broken down due to the collision but the shell remained in tact, only the pivot was smashed.
could you tell me please what have to be done in order to replace the whole mirror? the is a small plastic triangle cover at the front side of the door that cover the three screws that attach the mirrors base but that not enough since the electrical connectors aren't reachable and it seems that the door panel must be removed or there is a simpler solution?
Thanx again.
Avi
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

you could try undoing the three screws then give the mirror a knock to remove it.. the plug connector may be hidden in the door but a tug on the cable may bring it out into the open?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so as John says, you just need to undo the triangular trim piece and remove the bolts - but you will need to take the internal door card off to access the electrical connector:
Have a look at this Russian video - he struggles a bit, but gets there in the end - it may help you visually to see the trim parts and how to take them off.

I must admit to watching it previously - for entertainment value alone - I am sure there were a few choice Russian phrases uttered! :-D

Marc
atr
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Post by atr »

Thanx for your comments. I've already removed the inner triangle cover but the harness is only visible and pulling it didn't revealed the connector and I don't want to apply too much force. I'll watch the video - hope it will help.
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Hi Avi, you cannot pull the cable to release the connector. When you remove the door panel you will see the cables are about 3-400mm in length. They go down behind the panel then loop up and connect to the underside of the control module. The panel is mostly held on with plastic clips but there are one or two screws in the rear edge near the doorlock. There are also four screws I think behind the speaker, the speaker cover should just clip out with a small screwdriver. Also there are two large screws holding the pull handle to the inside of the door, the plastic cover should prise off to reveal the screws. However, you will have to remove the window switches first, just use a small screwdriver to ease the them out and you can disconnect the wiring plugs, these can only be fitted one way because of their shape so don't worry about getting them mixed up. I think that's about it, use a flat blade screwdriver around the edge of the panel to release the plastic clips, or a fancy tool if you have one :-D Once it is all loose lift the panel slightly to release it from the door and all will be revealed, you will be amazed at the amount of cables in the door! Also I nearly forgot, in the UK the temperature sensor is in the left hand mirror you might have to release it to fit into the new mirror.
Once you start and work out where all the screws and clips are it's not as bad as it sounds.
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

demag wrote: 21 Jul 2017, 23:40 in the UK the temperature sensor is in the left hand mirror you might have to release it to fit into the new mirror.
Once you start and work out where all the screws and clips are it's not as bad as it sounds.

On the left hand drive models the external temperature sensor is in the right hand side mirror housing, so no need to worry about that.

Marc