Definitive list for France please.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

moizeau
Donor 2024
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Re: Definitive list for France please.

Post by moizeau »

I've been stopped by 'Les Rozzers' a couple of times, the last time was only a couple of weeks ago for not having the same number plate on my trailer. I've always been asked to show my documents, licence, log book, CT, and always been breathalysed. You need to carry all documents at all times. I've never been asked to show spare bulbs, triangle, vest or first aid kit, even though I have them somewhere in the boot. Like a lot of things in France, the paperwork being up to date is the most important thing. For the sake of a couple of quid, get the extras but regarding the bulbs, just get a cheap Halfords pack. You'd be really unlucky to firstly be asked, and secondly to have a gendarme that knows whether the kit is right for your car! My mate was running round for 2 months with a headlight out on BM because he had to partially dismantle the front of his car to change it. He certainly didn't carry a spare for that, and I'm guessing any owner of LED headlights don't. Regarding the route, if you're pressed on time pay the tolls, if not take the A roads and see and breathe France. Enjoy

Just seen the remark on daytime lights. Some years ago, it was put in for a trial period, everyone did it for a day or two. The only cars you see with lights on during the day are those equipped with them as standard
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

HID (Xenon) and LED bulbs are specifically excluded from the spare bulb requirement. So ordinary tungsten and halogen bulbs only.

Changing them is an entirely different kettle of fish if you need to! Personally if stopped I would show the bulbs if asked to. If you're stopped at night (highly unlikely) because one has actually blown then show ignorance of the blown bulb (this might even be true) and try to change it there and then. But surely most of your driving will be during the day so this shouldn't arise.

I've never been stopped about bulbs or headlights without masks.
Last edited by Paul-R on 16 Jul 2017, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Good point about documentation. Keep the registration document, insurance certificate and driving licence in the car. It feels wrong to us Brits but that's the best way to make sure you don't go out without them. When I was stopped for a random check last May all I had to show were those three docs. I keep them all in the pouch behind the driver's seat.

WRT to the Hi-viz jackets apparently there is a requirement to have them within reach without leaving your seat. This is why you see a lot draped over the backs of seats. Certainly don't put them in the boot - there are stories of people (non-French) being fined for that. Could be apocryphal but don't take the chance.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Bob L'eponge wrote: 16 Jul 2017, 16:25
Paul-R wrote: 15 Jul 2017, 21:38 Breathalyser (even though that's ignored by the French themselves)
That's because the law requiring them to be carried was scrapped a couple of years ago. :)
Are you sure? I thought it was just ignored and not enforced.

Have to admit that ours has passed its use-by date though...

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Paul-R wrote: 16 Jul 2017, 18:55
Bob L'eponge wrote: 16 Jul 2017, 16:25
Paul-R wrote: 15 Jul 2017, 21:38 Breathalyser (even though that's ignored by the French themselves)
That's because the law requiring them to be carried was scrapped a couple of years ago. :)
Are you sure? I thought it was just ignored and not enforced.

Have to admit that ours has passed its use-by date though...

I believe that the law still stands, but the penalty for non-compliance was scrapped. A typically French compromise.
moizeau
Donor 2024
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

Regarding the vest being within reach, I've got an estate with no cover, so not really in the boot. I thought you needed to be able to get to them without getting out of the car. My docs are kept in the sun visor. I thought the breathalyser was just ignored, originally you had to have 2. So you could use one and still have another!
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

A lot of it makes sense to me.
I carry a full half set of bulbs, hi viz, first aid kit, warning triangle and basic tool kit in my car at all times. Only bit that hasn't proved worthwile yet is the warning triangle but I keep it as its small and I've seen a number of broken down cars in really dodgy places. I actually really like the warning triangles built into the bootlids of some cars. Not sure if they unclip though, the main point of them for me is if you break down just after a blind bend.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

RE: Breathalysers. It's all in the link to the AA page that I posted yesterday.....
"In July 2012 the French announced that drivers must carry a breathalyser or, from November 2012, be fined €11. You still have to carry the breathalyser but the fine has been postponed twice and was shelved in January 2013. The breathalyser must be unused and show the French certification mark NF. It has to be in date too. Single-use breathalysers normally only last 12 months so check yours if you bought it for a trip last year and didn’t use it."

https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdow ... -in-france
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

I do hope you decide to drive in France, its quite straightforward and the adjustment to driving on the right comes easy, and I'm pushing 50yrs old now.

Our Sat-nav gave up while we were there (in fact our only problems related to electronics - how apt, with a camera also expiring) but did you know you can use Googlemaps on a phone in a similar fashion to a Sat-nav.

Buy a map out there, some of the Michelin maps use of colour is diabolical, so open it up & check before buying

Only a couple of points....
Very occasionally on roundabouts you'll find drivers assume priority to those entering, just be aware of what's going on
Remember to drive on the right on quiet urban or rural roads which are the only places you might go wrong

We've always found Ferries cheapest, to Dunkerque rather than Calais; they're nice boats. Have a book, newspaper or similar handy for the approx 2hours trip.

If you're buying alcohol and anywhere near the German border get it there rather than France or Belgium, its cheaper.

Just back from Paris in my quarter million mile 405, with 4 days accomm via a cheap 'Sun' newspaper deal.

NB: we found the French people fabulous, they went out of their way to be helpful. As usual their roads put ours to shame and where there were roadworks they were brief and work was being carried out by many persons.
Puxa
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 16 Jul 2017, 20:01

Only a couple of points....
Very occasionally on roundabouts you'll find drivers assume priority to those entering, just be aware of what's going on

That reminds me...

The are a (very) few roundabouts where entering traffic does in fact have priority over traffic already on the roundabout (the Arc de Triomph in Paris is the best known example), you can recognise these because there are no give way signs on the entry to the roundabout.

More importantly you need to know the signs for "priority a droite". When you are on a road with this in force, you must absolutely give way to any traffic entering the road from your right, no matter how minor the road they are coming from, and there will be no give way sign. The traffic planners seem to use this as a means of slowing down traffic on main roads.

The top 2 signs show that traffic from the right has priority, the bottom 2 signs show that you have priority over traffic from the right (and the side roads will have stop signs on them).

Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Regarding road priority, on roads that have priority over others you will see this sign

As you approach a junction where you have to give way or stop you'll see this sign

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

If you have a new modern car then chances are you may have a switch under the bonnet operated by the key that will swap your lights over from right hand drive to left,
High vis for every occupant of the car within easy reach, bulb kit - don't quote me on this but i think you are required to carry a kit, it doesn't have to be a specific kit, also with a lot of modern cars, you simply can not replace them at the road side.
GB badge is worth popping on even if you have it on your number plate, - most are Magnetic which is an issue for a lot due to plastic panels, i managed to get a sticker version and popped it on the rear screen, the plates with the badge were all part of united Europe, not we have / are going through brexit it is a bit of a grey area.
Driving in france is easier than here imo. Similar number of residents but 5 times the space! They do like to zoom up on you pull out and back in leaving minimal room, but you soon get used to it, if you come off the main roads and travel through the villages, its not unusual for you to hardly see any other traffic, scenery is beautiful too, although we did brittany, i can't vouch for further up,
As another thought, on the good ladies Renault modus, it has a digital display, you can swap it between mph and kmh with a pressing of buttons in the right order.
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

I'd be interested to know specifically which modern cars have a lever to convert between RHD and LHD. The last headlamps that I saw with such a lever were on a Renault 8 I think!

Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

A lot of the current Nissan fleet do, being owned by renault would assume modern Renaults would would too, from what i heard of pops when he enquired at the honda dealers, a good number of the modern honda range does too,
I'll see if i can dig up a list if one exists,
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

A list from 2009 on honest john
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/switchable-dip/