XUD Lucas throttle dampers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johnny625
My Cars: Citroen Xsara 1.9 td

XUD Lucas throttle dampers

Post by johnny625 »

I was just wondering is there a real benefit of throttle dampers on the Lucas pumps at least?

I know that the long damper on the front of the pump should smooth out throttle application and the round one at the back of the pump should smooth out return to idle. However, checking them on my Xsara the front one is pretty much gone offering virtually no resistance to movement in any direction and back one is nearly gone also.

The car seems to drive fine and the return to idle is just fine regardless of the damper's poor state. Are they there to simply stop the throttle arm slamming against the stops (max. revs screw and the anti stall bolt)?
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: XUD Lucas throttle dampers

Post by elma »

Most of them were removed in the 90s, not a part you need if you can smoothly press and release the pedal.
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Re: XUD Lucas throttle dampers

Post by chinkostu »

the rear one on my Bosch is dead and the only telltale is a slight kangaroo if you lift off a bit agressively. the fronts are useless and usually turn the pedal into something that needs far too much pressure to push. the old DW8 206 I had used to take ages to return if you took your foot off the pedal, hence why i was never too fussed about the Xantias.
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o