C5 aircon questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

faddy
My Cars: 2008 C5 VTR+ 2.0i Auto

past:
2003 C5 LX HDI 110
Honda Civic
Yaris Verso
Mercedes A-Class
Rover 213
BX
CX Familiale
Peugeot 505
VW 412
VW 1600 (Type 3)
VW 1303 Beetle

C5 aircon questions

Post by faddy »

Question #2 of many on my newly acquired Mk1 C5......

Aircon is functioning, at least to the extent of demisting the windscreen, but struggling with summer temperatures. There's quite a distinct whine inside the cabin when aircon is on but under the bonnet I can't hear any change when it's switched on and off. Would the noise be the compressor or is there any other moving part like a fan specific to the aircon?

I've been in touch with the only previous owner of the car, who doesn't remember ever having the aircon serviced/regassed. Is it likely that it would still be working at all at 111k miles if it had never been regassed? Or could it have been done as part of a service without the owner knowing?
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: C5 aircon questions

Post by DickieG »

The system could still be working ok at any mileage but as to whether it's working at full capacity is another matter, the chances are that the system has lost some gas and could do with a recharge. I've come across systems that are low on gas make what I'd personally describe as a groaning noise. Ultimately my advise is to get the system drained and re-gassed then you'll know where you stand.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

I would look at changing the cabin filter (under the centre console, accessed by the passenger footwell panel) then keep an eye out on groupon (amoungst others ) for the cheap ATS deal or similar for aircon recharge. I paid £28 and mine aricon was similar, blew cool but not cold. Mine had 128g of gas, and they put 675g back in!
Simon
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 X7 diesel exclusive

Post by Bandit12 »

Defo sounds like low on gas as I had similar issues earlier this year. my local main dealer did regas for £45 same price as local independent garage. Changing pollen filter sounds like good advice too as they do get clogged. They can be a bit fiddly to fit but there's a very useful thread on this site with helpful pictures.
2002 Citroen C5 2.2Hdi exclusive estate (sadly gone) :(
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)