EGS clutch slip and cant get over bump in reverse gear

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

onix45
My Cars: C4 2013 eHdi 1.6

EGS clutch slip and cant get over bump in reverse gear

Post by onix45 »

Hello,

I have a 2013 C4 1.6eHdi with an EGS gearbox.

Today i notices that if i try to get on a curb in reverse gear i cant do it. The car tries to accelerate but wont climb on the curb. Also, if i floor it in reverse gear the car barely moves, but if press the throttle only partialy it starts moving fine.

This is a problem for me since i often have to park with my rear wheels in top of the curb
Is this normal for an egs gearbox? Would a software update solve this?
Last edited by onix45 on 04 Jul 2017, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.
onix45

Re: EGS cant get over bump in reverse gear

Post by onix45 »

An update:

I also noticed that if i accelerate hard, the clutch seems to slip when changing gears. This happens in every gear, but i would say is most noticeable when the EGS changes for 3rd to 4th gear.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Post by ekjdm14 »

What sort of mileage is on it? I suppose it's possible the clutch is just ready for replacement, although I believe I did read that the clutch actuator requires periodic recalibration as the clutch wears so if that's true then lexia could be your saviour.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
onix45

Post by onix45 »

ekjdm14 wrote: 02 Jul 2017, 14:17 What sort of mileage is on it? I suppose it's possible the clutch is just ready for replacement, although I believe I did read that the clutch actuator requires periodic recalibration as the clutch wears so if that's true then lexia could be your saviour.

it has 30000 miles on it, so im hoping that only a recalibration is needed.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I know incredibly little about EGS gearboxes, but I do know Lexia has the ability to recalibrate the biting point on the clutch used in them.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
onix45

Post by onix45 »

Also, an important thing i forgot to mention. The engine is remapped and the torque is increased by around 40Nm. Most people say that this is a minor increase and should not cause any increased wear or slipping, but may the story is different with the EGS gearbox? the total torque is 285Nm, and supposedly this car comes with 270Nm as stock, so surely a 15Nm increase to the official figures can't cause harm?
onix45

Re: EGS clutch slip and cant get over bump in reverse gear

Post by onix45 »

Well, the local Citroen dealers mechanic is on vacation, so i am stuck with this problem for a few weeks...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hard to say - I decided against a remap on my manual because at the time the clutch / DMF needed replacing. I never bothered with the remap after that because of the extra wear on the clutch and DMF due to the extra power. Both the clutches and DMFs are different on the 138, 163 and 175 engines as an example - so whether these are designed to cope with the extra power of each engine I couldn't say for sure.

I've checked on the 110 and 138 engines for the piloted C4 Picasso and they all have different clutches and DMFs too. As these are basically standard clutch and DMFs with the actuators, they'll wear just the same as normal. You say you have 30k miles - my clutch was badly worn and the DMF shot to pieces at 40k (although it hadn't started to break up yet thank goodness). This was probably down to the previous owner, but these can fail a lot earlier with some needing replacement at 20k or under!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
onix45

Post by onix45 »

Does anyone by any chance know what is the rated torque spec for the clutch in this car? Does anyone know a website where i could find the specs for clutches and other car parts? I was not able to find one myself.
onix45

Post by onix45 »

yesterday i had the stock ecu program put back on the car. ...and no more slipping during gear changes. The car is not as lively as it was with the tune though, obviously.
I was told that the clutch was slipping because the gearbox SOFTWARE is not meant to handle the extra torque, so when the gear changes the gearbox purposely lets the clutch slip until it fully engages, and with the extra torque of a tune the clutch ends up slipping for quite some time. That is why the clutch only slips during a gear change, and never when it is already in gear.
Could anyone comment on this?
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Sounds plausible, a bit like developing a faster right foot in a manual but not speeding up the left foot to match. I guess you need to remap the gearbox as well as the engine on these if you tune them. Would probably be a bad idea though judging from other threads.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It makes sense. Just as having a remap on a manual, you have to learn to drive it differently with the extra power, i.e. with less throttle at start off, otherwise one would be wearing the clutch unnecessarily. Or, accelerating hard in higher gears at lower speeds is another sure way to wear the clutch / DMF, so knowing how finely calibrated these horrible (IMHO) EGS systems are it is no surprise.

The EGS systems generally only appear on the 1.6 engines AFAIK on the Picasso and C5s as an example, so are made to work with power and torque from that engine. The software obviously can only work within certain tolerances as mentioned before getting upset.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc