Alternator on the berlingo.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

moizeau
Donor 2024
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Re: Alternator on the berlingo.

Post by moizeau »

Bolk are the cheapest they sell, I've got a Bolk water pump on the BX which is fine. I then fitted a Bolk aux belt auto tensioner to the 2.1td. I died within a year. The needle rollers ate into the steel through bolt causing a misalignment on the belt. Steered clear since and go for a mid priced piece. I now also use 'piecesauto24' instead of misterauto, Delivery is well priced and quick, parts are a good quality.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I wont buy anything from mr auto again. I only went for the cheap option as the van only cost 300 quid, and its just a workhorse and if it lasts a year i will be happy. But there you go, have had to change the alternator 3 times and ended up with a 20 quid scrappy one amyway!
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Pleased it's all fixed now Davie but what a terrible saga with Mr. Auto and his products... Shocking...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

CitroJim wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 05:46 Pleased it's all fixed now Davie but what a terrible saga with Mr. Auto and his products... Shocking...

Im not going to hold out much hope for a refund either. Remember my saga of getting a refund for the wrong clutch they sent me for the activa, When they said it was my fault I ordered a 16v one when I sent them the registration for them to check?
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

I remember reading lots of negative reviews of Mr Auto & quoting one that summed it up, on a forum somewhere.

In essence it said that everything was fine - until something went wrong! Suggesting that "customer service" is a totally alien concept to them, something you already seem to have discovered.

Keep plugging away at them, companies like that rely on people just giving up; don't be afraid to invoke Trading Standards &/or take legal action - OR to be sure they know that much of their customer base is receiving a blow-by-blow update of this whole saga.

Good Luck!
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I actually made my first order from them recently and it seems to have gone ok.
I got the Gates belts as I ordered and some cheap febi drop links just in case I damage one doing the strut tops.
I was very nervous though.
As said already it does seem a case of if it's wrong you suffer with Mr Auto.
I wouldn't order their Bolk or Super cheap parts though.
Been there, done that with GSF and ECP and both times ended up paying more and taking longer.
Pleased the Berlingo is finally sorted too.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

I ordered an LUK clutch for the activa, telling them it was a 2.0 8v turbo and quoting the registration number, they sent a clutch for a 2.0 16v which is totally different. I had to re-order the correct clutch, pay the second one and return the wrong one. I think it was then many weeks before I received the refund. They are refusing to refund this alternator, saying I got what I ordered, they accept the first could be faulty and I can keep or chuck it but the second is fine and basically its tough on me. I wish, espically noy that Im away to sell the berlingo, that I had just gone for the 20 quid breaker one to start with!
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I remember your clutch woes well.

I think they just want you to type.
Goods aren't fit for intended purpose blah blah blah.
You must be able to download a template and write BOLK ALTERNATOR in the relevant place.
Ask them to prove it is fine as well, I love telepathadiagnosis and send them a link to this thread.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Time was when it'd never occur to me not to get, say, an alternator (or almost anything, really) form a breakers. Haven't had that option for, maybe 25, years now though, in fact it was only when I joined this forum that I discovered that such places still existed - somewhere.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o