Should i update EGS box software

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

onix45
My Cars: C4 2013 eHdi 1.6

Should i update EGS box software

Post by onix45 »

Hello, i own a 2013 Citroen C4 1.6 eHDi with an automatic EGS gearbox. As fas as i know the car did not receive any software updates after it left the factory.
I recently visited the local official Citroen dealer and asked for a EGS software update. The Citroen mechanic (who is, as i was told, one of the best in the region) told me that a software update for this gearbox is unpredictable, and could result better performance, or in worse, so they usually only do a software update if the gearbox is acting up.
Would any of you recommend a software update? My main pet peeve with this gearbox is when im accelerating and upshifting witht he paddle shifters it takes about 1,5 seconds after i press the button until it STARTS shifting. The shift itself doesnt take that long, but for a good second after i press the paddle shifter i can still feel the car pulling and increasing revs until it finally decides its time to disengage the clutch and shift the gear.
Do any of you experience this aswell, and is there any remedy to this? Do any of you have and EGS box produced in 2013, and have you done a software update for it? Has anything changed after the update?

Thank you.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Should i update EGS box software

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Your mechanic is right - updating the software is not always a solution, but generally to fix certain issues. As you know this is manual gearbox and clutch, just operated by hydraulic actuators o change the gears and engage / disengage the cluch, so is it possible that your clutch is slipping or your Dual Mass Flywheel is due for a change?
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
onix45

Post by onix45 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 26 Jun 2017, 22:33 Your mechanic is right - updating the software is not always a solution, but generally to fix certain issues. As you know this is manual gearbox and clutch, just operated by hydraulic actuators o change the gears and engage / disengage the clutch, so is it possible that your clutch is slipping or your Dual Mass Flywheel is due for a change?

I honestly don't think so. I tried flooring it in 5th and 6th gear and did not notice any clutch slip. Also the car only has 30.000 miles on it.
My only concern is that delay after pressing the paddle shifters i was talking about, but i dont know if it is an 'issue', or it's just normal behavior.
It does a similar thing in automatic mode, that i am sure you all noticed. When the car wants to shift up say from 2nd to 3rd, the gear indicator switches to 3, but the car is still actually in 2nd gear, and starts shifting only a good second later.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Has the battery been off at all lately? If so, I beleieve there is a relearning process for the system.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
onix45

Post by onix45 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 27 Jun 2017, 12:18 Has the battery been off at all lately? If so, I beleieve there is a relearning process for the system.

Well, the battery has been off about 700 miles ago...