veggie oil and customs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paranoid
My Cars:

veggie oil and customs

Post by paranoid »

Does anybody know how to register to use veggie oil with the customs and excise and also does it cost anything ?
Want to stay legal so the wife doesn't lose any sleep [:D]
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Whilst it should be theoretically possible to do this, there doesn't seem to be any system in place for it to happen.
I get the impression that HMCE don't want to open the floodgates for everyone to start producing their own 'diesel' at home, so are trying to discourage it from happening at all.
Their website mentions the procedure for paying over the additional duty when using 'rebated fuels' (no specific mention of veg oils) in a road vehicle. But the amount of paperwork involved, eg filling in a daily log of all the fuel you use, appears to be prohibitive to say the least. Even then, they say permission to do this will only be given in "very exceptional circumstances"!
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

<i>Does anybody know how to register to use veggie oil with the customs and excise</i>
At the moment Duty is payable at the either the full ULSD rate of 47.1p or it benefits from the biodiesel rate of 27.1p/litre per litre - It's open to interpretation.
Cheapest oil is about 41p/litre so it's 68p/litre minimum.
Not much of a saving.
Nick is correct in that you have to jump through hoops to register.
However do you have a biodiesle retailer near you? AFAIK svo when mixed with biodiesel is impossible to detect......
mipzter
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mipster</i>
At the moment Duty is payable at the either the full ULSD rate of 47.1p or it benefits from the biodiesel rate of 27.1p/litre per litre - It's open to interpretation.
Cheapest oil is about 41p/litre so it's 68p/litre minimum.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
And bear in mind this is only the fuel duty itself.
I don't know for certain, but I suspect they <i>may</i> then require you to pay 17.5% VAT on top of this too !
I wonder what would happen if you walked into an HMCE office and said "I've used X litres of veg in a road vehicle, so here is a cheque for £X for the fuel duty I owe"?
I don't know the answer to that, and I don't want to be the first person to try it either [8)][:D]