YES or NO to a Citroen C5 ????

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TunnelOut
My Cars:

YES or NO to a Citroen C5 ????

Post by TunnelOut »

Just thinking of moving on to a C5 Hdi 110. It has much needed room for our family of five and due to massive depreciation, appears to be a more affordable bet than either a 406 or a Passat.
I would sincerely welcome any constructive advice/reasons.
Many thanks,
TunnelOut
Doc
My Cars:

Post by Doc »

If I had the money I would go for the C5 Estate as it is absolutely huge and offers just as much interior space as most 'people movers'. According to Citroen the C5 has a 5 year 100,000 mile service interval before the hydro-pneumatic suspension needs servicing and engine/transmissions are all proven PSA units. You should be able to find some good deals out there thanks to heavy discounting by the dealer network. I guess all Citroens with hydro suspension still frighten the uninitiated whether they are trade or buying public, as it is a complex car, but the C5 is a big improvement over its predecessor the XM (although in my opinion the XM beats it on looks). Just make sure you get one with a full service history. Try www.honestjohn.co.uk as this site lists all known faults (and what to look out for) for every car sold in the u.k even older cars.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

TunnelOut. Your ZX sounds nice, if you decide to part with it plzzz advertise the fact on this forum, Thanks... :-)
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

I had one for 8 months, never gave me a minutes bother in 14,000 miles. I'd still have it were it not written off in an accident. It was a 2.2HDi and I had it tuned to 180BHP - went like a scaled cat when you booted it!
I may yet buy another one, I've got a 52 plate 2.2HDi Exclusive to see at the weekend, friend of mine is a salesperson and has taken it in p/x for another one, only slight issue is its got 53k on the clock but it should be dirt cheap.
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

If you get a later made C5, great! I would steer clear of an early 'Reg' C5 though.They had a lot of teething problems.They had a lot of 'Recalls', some were for Rattles, Water ingress, Sound proofing, Suspension sealing, Downloads.etc!! The later made C5's were sorted out so would be a better buy.
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Check out this site before you buy.
http://www.c5-faults.com/comments.htm
I hope they have rectified all those problems.
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

Depending on what you are spending, go look at the Skoda Superb. Excellent car, even better value. My friend has just bought a used example 2003 52-reg 13k miles 1.9 Tdi 130PD Comfort for £13k, from a skoda dealer, and it has everything you would need plus the PD engine.
akojic
My Cars:

Post by akojic »

PD engine isn't advantage in my opinion! Common rail technology bits that german VW version of diesel engine.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

I actually had a Superb for a week as a fleet tester where I used to work 12 months ago. Nice car, but its a big barge and the 130BHP has to work hard if you want to get anywhere quick, especially being only a 1900cc unit. Didn't handle especially well, and didn't like to be thrown around - definitely a cruiser.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

I thought about a Superb, but found the footwell to be cramped compared to the C5, infact, a Saxo felt similar to the Superb comparing the space for my size 14's and the clutch pedal.
I never got as far as driving the Skoda, but have read about the PD engines having a narrow useful band of torque, whereas the HDI 110 can be driven from tickover all the way to the red line with ease.
If I was to get another car tomorrow, it would be a C5.