New alternator fitted.....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

milleplod
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Tourer
(Previously, in order....Dyane, 2CV6 x 3, Visa 1.7D, GSA estate, GS Pallas, CX TurboII, Picasso...all fondly remembered!).

New alternator fitted.....

Post by milleplod »

.....took an hour, the worst bit was getting the fuel filter and associated bits and pieces out of the way. All good now though! :)

Quick query - I disconnected the battery, as per instructions on this forum, prior to my mate starting the job - it was disconnected for around an hour, then reconnected, again following the instructions. The car seems much more responsive - more specifically, the gearbox seems to be responding quicker to my inputs on the throttle. Or am I imagining it?! Has it reset itself in some way? :?

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: New alternator fitted.....

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

That is possible. Over time electronics adapt to driving styles or glitches build up. When a battery is replaced (using the BSi reset routine) it is like cleanly shutting down a computer, thereby clearing down any 'learning' or glitches.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
milleplod
(Previously, in order....Dyane, 2CV6 x 3, Visa 1.7D, GSA estate, GS Pallas, CX TurboII, Picasso...all fondly remembered!).

Post by milleplod »

Ah, right, thanks for that. I only did the 'short' version of refitting the battery (connect - wait 3 mins - sidelights on etc etc), but something's certainly changed for the better. :)

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Something else has changed too! Economy Mode didn't kick in today, despite the radio being on for around 40 mins! Yaaayyyy!! :-D

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Possible that the original alt was failing before the light came on, and the battery was not being charged properly - they don't like low battery voltage, and it does seem to have an effect on the wait time for economy mode.
Richard W
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

That makes sense. When I put the new battery on back in December, I expected it to 'improve' the Economy Mode kick-in time - it didn't, so you've got to think that the alternator wasn't doing its job properly.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.