Rear Arm Bearings – Life Expectancy?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Rear Arm Bearings – Life Expectancy?

Post by rory_perrett »

Reading this forum, Xantia rear arm bearings don’t seem to be the issue they are / were on the BX. My old BX needed doing at around 105k miles and 210k miles. Strangely at the 210k change they knocked and creaked but the wheels were still vertical although the bearings had totally collapsed.
What life are people getting on Xantias? Current Xantias are at 112k and 142k miles with no obvious sign they need doing. Having said that, and it could be paranoia, in some lights on some days I’m not convinced there isn’t a slight lean on the rear near side wheel on the 142k’er
Regards
Rory
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

I've no idea, but I can identify with the worry-my 'K' ZX TD I am worried that the bearings will/are failing. It's done 110K. The design of the ZX rear axle seems to be a bit better than on the Peugeot 205 I owned-the seals seem to be better so hopefully the axle will last longer. My 205's axle was ****ged by <100K although the car had probably been clocked lol.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

All my BX'es 6 the CX have been approx 150Kmiles when ready for rear arm bearings.
Could be the Xantia rear arm bearings are better protected by a different body shell design in this area ???
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

It is down to a suspected allergy to touching grease suffered by many french car workers, I have had success drilling and tapping the arms and fitting grease nipples, then I pump in a mixture of gear oil and grease, they appear to last indefinitely then.
Stewart