C3 Picasso - Cambelt or Timing Chaiin?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

petra
New User
My Cars: daihatsu terios

C3 Picasso - Cambelt or Timing Chaiin?

Post by petra »

hi all

i'm going to look at the following cars at the beginning of next week some distance away

2009 Citroen C3 PICASSO 1.6 HDi 16V VTR+ 5dr diesel

2009 C3 PICASSO 1.4 VTi 8v VTR+ 5dr petrol

are the engines timing chain or cambelt? - my preference is for a timing chain only.

i need the car to transport my huskies one of which has to be put in a L3' x W2' x H2' in the boot with rear seats up - a 7 seater car would do the latter job but the insurance nearly doubles.

any additional info appreciated.

cheers.
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: C3 Picasso - Cambelt or Timing Chaiin?

Post by wheeler »

The HDi has a timing belt with a small chain linking the camshafts.
Not sure what engine the 1.4 will be but suspect it is the ET3. In which case this also has a timing belt.
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

Am I right in thinking that nearly all pure PSA engines have belts rather than chains. The only chained PSA engine I can think of is the 2.7 V6 HDi, but this was an engine that pretty much every car manufacturer had a hand in as far as I can tell.
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Although they have occasional failures I think timing belts are far better than chains in most vehicles, and much easier to fix in case of failure.
Nissan have had a lot of trouble recently with timing chains, having to recall quite a large number of their stuff to have stretched chains and faulty tensioners replaced.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Don't buy the 1.6 HDi....! Or only if you go in with your eyes open: https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 11&t=49995
Richard W
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Gibbo2286 wrote:Although they have occasional failures I think timing belts are far better than chains in most vehicles, and much easier to fix in case of failure.

Second that, would much prefer a timing belt to a chain, if your thinking get a car with a chain as they don't need any maintenance/replacement think again, they can stretch over time & the full kit needs replacement, normally much more expensive than replacing a timing belt kit. If the chain does break it can often be a more catastrophic failure as casings often get broken along with the chain.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Post by ekjdm14 »

wheeler wrote:
Gibbo2286 wrote:Although they have occasional failures I think timing belts are far better than chains in most vehicles, and much easier to fix in case of failure.

Second that, would much prefer a timing belt to a chain, if your thinking get a car with a chain as they don't need any maintenance/replacement think again, they can stretch over time & the full kit needs replacement, normally much more expensive than replacing a timing belt kit. If the chain does break it can often be a more catastrophic failure as casings often get broken along with the chain.

I'd tend to agree here, timing chains of late seem to have been designed with noise/price and little else in mind & are woefully under-specced IMO compared to traditional chain setups. Also, in the time they've been the accepted 'norm' belts have progressed immensely and the manufacturers (with a few exceptions) seem to have managed to spec them so that they easily last their service interval, usually 5 years or so.

I'd personally much rather have a belt than a chain for the reasons above Re- replacement costs & amount of work involved to replace, potential damage caused by failure and the like. Also, modern chains don't give you plenty of warning when they're failing if that's your thoughts. they are generally silent until they let go from what I've seen.

Also agree with the advice to avoid the 1.6HDi unless you're fully aware of the potential pitfalls and how to rectify/prevent them & it has a good genuine service history showing correct specs & intervals for the oil.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

1.6 HDi belt is 150k/ 10 years, and I've not heard of a belt failure on one - that at least they did get right(*)! Or, perhaps none have got that far as they have eaten their turbos before that...

* many get replaced early as they do tend to go noisy - I put a new one on the C4 at 75k. 307 is at 130k / over ten years - I don't know if it's been changed (quite possibly I think as it is not noisy), so it is on the list for a major service later in the summer.
Richard W