How to remove air-filter housing ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alexx
My Cars:

How to remove air-filter housing ?

Post by alexx »

Can anyone tell me? It's 1.8 16v Xantia (mk II).
I have this problem: when you press the throttle quickly (during gearchange), there is a short delay, before the engine reacts (about 0.3 s), and when it does, it's a bit abrupt, in off-on fashion, so this is a little annoying. It happens only if throttle pedal is released or pushed up to about 1/3 of its travel, before you push the pedal further. If you drive with pedal on the 1/2 of its travel and quickly push further, engine reacts promptly and gradually. There are no other symptoms - idle is perfectly stable, performances and fuel consumption are up to expectations etc. Any ideas about this?
So, I'm guessing it could be worn throttle potentiometer or maybe MAP sensor. So I tried to remove and check them, and also to examine the condition of the stepper motor, but it's necessary to remove filter housing first, and bloody thing didn't want to go out. Returned home and consulted mr. Haynes, and he said simply 'lift up the lower part of the housing to disengage it from lower lugs'. Is there anything else to do, disconnect, unclip? I don't wont to brake it.
By the way, idle motor is standard Magneti Marelli unit, made by Airpax. It seems to be 2 coil permanent magnet stepper motor, although on electrical schema it's shown as ordinary motor with a position switch. ECU is Sagem SL96, as stated in Haynes.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Is'nt this bolted down somewhere - I think we discussed this little teaser last year ?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

On my TD the bottom half of the air filter housing has 2 bolts in the bottom and one in the side. It then needs a good tug to free it off the mouting on the side towards the battery. You might need to undo a jubilee clamp on the inlet hose underneath.
All the above assumes yours is the same as the TD......[8D]
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Richard,
AF housing seems to be very similar, at least on the pictures. Are these two bolts screwed to bottom part from the underside, as I didn't see any from above? About that one on the side (towards the battery), it seems this is different than on TD. There was a piece of plastics with a screw, but its head wasn't accessible - it was hidden in that piece of plastics.
I hope I'll visit my mechanic this week, to refill front spheres, so we'll connect the ECU to some diagnostics before experimenting further. Anyway, thanks for help.