2003 Berlingo Multispace 1.9D electrical issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kennard
My Cars: Citroen Berlingo 1.9D Multispace (DW8)
Citroen Berlingo 1.9D Van (XUD)
Peugeot 306 1.9D (XUD)
Mazda Bongo
Reliant Scimitar Se5 V8

2003 Berlingo Multispace 1.9D electrical issues

Post by kennard »

Firstly, 2003 1.9D multispace: Bought as a non-runner with electrical problems (BSI) with the saving grace that the cambelt, idler and water pump had been very recently replaced by the previous owner (More of which in a moment!).

Had to bypass immobiliser by replacing stop solenoid with 'simple' version; have also replaced ecu and bsi with ones from a suitable donor (a Peugeot Partner), and replaced com2000: Car is now a runner having rectified the incorrect fitting of the cambelt by the previous owner.

Electrical problems now, largely, overcome..... BUT have remaining issues of non-working electric windows, central locking and a radio that emits an annoying beep every few seconds.

I have a Lexia clone, but would not claim to be an expert in it's use! I'm becoming more confident with it, but am sure I still need much guidance.

The electric windows are the issue I most need to resolve, and I'm wondering whether this could in any way be related to the removal of the injection pump immobiliser circuitry, or if it's either a bsi programming issue or a 'simple' fuse problem.
1) Starting with the fuses, my Haynes manual refers to fuses FA, FB, FC, FD, FE, and FF being in the 'Built-in systems interface fuse box', with fuse FE being for the electric windows (FA, incidentally is for the central locking), but I have been unable to locate this 'fuse box'! CAN ANYONE ADVISE ME WHERE THESE FUSES ARE?
2) Regarding the removal of the 'tube' of immobiliser electronics with the old injector pump stop solenoid. COULD THIS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH INOPERABLE ELECTRIC WINDOWS (and, perhaps, central locking) ?
3) In respect of bsi programming. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME AN 'IDIOT'S GUIDE' AS TO HOW TO DO THIS ?

As a matter of interest, and possibly relevant (?), the central locking appears to make no attempt to operate at all, either from the facia button or with key locking the car.

The radio is, I'm assuming, an issue between codes in the radio and bsi: Running diagnostics only comes up with a permanent fault in the aerial which, if cleared in the Lexia, solves the beeping issue. Sadly, the beeping returns once the ignition is switched off and then on again.

As ever, I am certain some of you 'gurus' will know the answers. (Have also posted on Berlingo forum).

Ultimately, I will not let this car beat me !!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: 2003 Berlingo Multispace 1.9D electrical issues

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi and welcome.
Regarding the BSI and programming - ALWAYS a good idea to print out the previous configuration prior to replacement - if you are able to. As far as re-programming - this is usually done by internet download by the dealer and will be specific to the vehicle's various level of hardware and versions / types of ECUs fitted - so not one size fits all , so can't help you with that as we won't know what specific equipment was fitted / replaced.

As far as the radio beep goes, that is down to the VIN coding of the vehicle. The Head unit will need to be coded using lexia to the VIN of the vehicle stored in the BSI.
The Central locking issue is no doubt related to the the correct programming of the BSI / injection ECU depending on type of kit fitted.

What I can help you with is the vehicle options as it left the factory. But this will be for the specific VIN supplied. Post or PM me and I'll send it back via email. This may help you determine some of the components that were on the original vehicle and will certainly help you with some of the equipment options when you are configuring the BSI manually. Either that or you can pay the dealer for a diagnostic / ECU download session.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Until you get the BSI programmed with all the proper parameters, you are likely to find errors all over the place, due to the interdependence / communication of the ECUs over the vehicle networks.

Marc
kennard
Peugeot 306 1.9D (XUD)
Mazda Bongo
Reliant Scimitar Se5 V8

Post by kennard »

Hi GiveMeABreak

Good point regarding printing out BSI config prior to replacement: Unfortunately previous owner had, I'm guessing in a misguided effort to solve issues, replaced the BSI before I bought the car: Hence I had to fit a BSI/ECU 'kit' from a donor vehicle. (ditto with the COM2000 unit as well!).

Radio beep: So I can, using Lexia, code the head unit to the VIN coding of the vehicle (which I assume is the VIN as in the BSI)? - PLEASE CONFIRM.
On this point, should the VIN be the 'real' one for the car, or the VIN from which the donor BSI/ECU came? PLEASE ADVISE.

I will PM you with the original VIN, and that would be great if you could advise me as to the original vehicle options.

Having a Lexia, I'm trying to avoid going the dealer route (if possible), as I'm sure they'll be dubious about the fitting of the simple IP stop solenoid !!

As a matter of interest, to replace the stop solenoid I just cut the three wires that used to go to the original solenoid and it's associated 'tube' of electrickery, and installed totally separate wiring for the new solenoid. (As all three wires appeared identical, I cut them to different lengths so that I would be able to reconnect them correctly if required).
Do you think that if I reconnected those wires and suitably earthed the old solenoid, that this might have any beneficial effect? PLEASE ADVISE.

Many thanks for assistance. I really appreciate it.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

kennard wrote:Hi GiveMeABreak
Radio beep: So I can, using Lexia, code the head unit to the VIN coding of the vehicle (which I assume is the VIN as in the BSI)? - PLEASE CONFIRM.
Yes, the head unit will be configured for the VIN code of the vehicle stored in the BSI using Lexia.You will need to run the Global test, then select the Radio / Head Unit ECU and there should be a configuration option there to code the VIN to the unit.

On this point, should the VIN be the 'real' one for the car, or the VIN from which the donor BSI/ECU came? PLEASE ADVISE.
The one stored in the new BSI

Do you think that if I reconnected those wires and suitably earthed the old solenoid, that this might have any beneficial effect? PLEASE ADVISE.
I can't confirm this - but the components and electronics are designed to work together. Replacing / removing this and any electronics could well have further consequences on other systems.

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I've emailed you your vehicle specifics, this may help you to identify some of the kit on your car.

Marc
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

& to think, I spent a year looking for one of these, so glad I had a change of heart - & bought the C15!

That said, do hope you sort all these gremlins out: it's the sort of stuff I'm used to with the Cadillac.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
kennard
Peugeot 306 1.9D (XUD)
Mazda Bongo
Reliant Scimitar Se5 V8

Post by kennard »

I sometimes think 'the older the better': I certainly hate electronics on vehicles !!
kennard
Peugeot 306 1.9D (XUD)
Mazda Bongo
Reliant Scimitar Se5 V8

Post by kennard »

GiveMeABreak wrote:
kennard wrote:Hi GiveMeABreak
Yes, the head unit will be configured for the VIN code of the vehicle stored in the BSI using Lexia.You will need to run the Global test, then select the Radio / Head Unit ECU and there should be a configuration option there to code the VIN to the unit.

The one stored in the new BSI

I can't confirm this - but the components and electronics are designed to work together. Replacing / removing this and any electronics could well have further consequences on other systems.

Hi Givemeabreak

Just a quick update: I 'reconnected' the original stop solenoid (more in hope than expectation) and was 'suitably' disappointed that it made no difference whatsoever.

Now waiting for an opportunity to go through BSI programming again.