Bought a MK1, and just noticed that the engine probably is blown (links included)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Bought a MK1, and just noticed that the engine probably is blown (links included)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Kiiva wrote:Aha then i see a mistake the mechanic did.. he checked all, even the handbreak, he had the belts off.
Of course he should see if my belt is worn out, but yet its back on again, so far so good.

But the car screams from the belt or wheel i dont know but its only when i start it cold, it lasts 15 seconds, and its LOUD

That's because the alternator is fully loaded on start up. Get the belt tension adjusted or it will wear excessively quickly,.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Bought a MK1, and just noticed that the engine probably is blown (links included)

Post by CitroJim »

Kiiva wrote: But the car screams from the belt or wheel i dont know but its only when i start it cold, it lasts 15 seconds, and its LOUD

That could be the alternator if the belt and tensioners are all confirmed to be in very good condition...

More likely though it's the crankshaft pulley - the pulley is of Dual Mass construction with a rubber ring between the inner and outer annulus. Over time the bonding between the rubber and metal can fail and under heavy load - which the first 15 seconds is due to the alternator working very hard to recharge the battery - the inner and outer annulus can rotate against the rubber and set up the squealing noise...

It can often be provoked by switching on the air conditioning and if it happens then it is a good confirmation it is the pulley failing.

I'm pleased things are now looking better for you and this car :) The problems now are all minor and between us all we can sort them ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Kiiva
My Cars: C5 Break 2003
Xantia V6 2000

Post by Kiiva »

Just got in the "fixed" car after leaving it parked for 3 hours. Just listen.. it goes away but still.
Windows is up not to make injured.

I dont want to bother him again, why cant it be normal?

https://youtu.be/uQwhn3ZzsmI
Kiiva
My Cars: C5 Break 2003
Xantia V6 2000

Post by Kiiva »

I think i know why now.
The mechanic did see that the rearlights was very dull. So ihe swapped them for xantia 2 lights. It does looks like a whole new car with those.
But that must be the reason why its screaming. Its too much power from those lights
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Kiiva wrote: But that must be the reason why its screaming. Its too much power from those lights

Look at my earlier reply... I have suggested several reasons for the noise ;) It will not be the lights :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Video of the sound?
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

CitroJim wrote:
Kiiva wrote: But that must be the reason why its screaming. Its too much power from those lights

Look at my earlier reply... I have suggested several reasons for the noise ;) It will not be the lights :)

Agreed, there's no way new rear lights would cause this. probably just needs a new belt or adjusting a bit, especially as it's just had work in this area. I'd ask the mechanic to double check the belt tension/condition and go from there :wink:
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2: