Bitron or ****ron ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PeterMann
My Cars:

Bitron or ****ron ?

Post by PeterMann »

Is the Bitron Unit doing something important ? Has anyone done a post-mortem on a deceased Bitron so as to establish what lies within ? As one who does almost all driving on quiet rural roads hundreds of miles from the nearest Citroen workshop (which I can't afford anyway), I would like to apply my engineering resourcefulness
to replacing quirky elements with reliable alternatives. And the Bitron (should we call it a ****ron?) is near the top of my list. But first, need to know what it is that I'm chewing on.
I have found something of similar appearance manufactured by Bitron, which has 2 relays in a 15 pin package at
http://www.bitron-ind.com/indexframes.html
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the dual relay is the one used for the fuel injection system,i would say the 'ENGINE COOLING CONTROLLER' is the same bitron unit used for the cooling fans etc.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Peter,
you too.... Bugger, mine is intermitant as well. I wonder if anyone has a circuit schematic of what it should do ?? It it's to bloody expensive I'd probably wire a 'high speed' fan switch inside the car and get rid of it [:D]
seeya,
Shane L.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

I think that I saw something like the item "Engine cooling controller" in the engine bay of my Xantia. Will look again.
Anyway, it must be connected to brown temperature sensor on the thermostat housing and operates fans and temperature warning light. Also, it's connected to A/C system and operates fans accordingly and shuts down A/C in case of overheating. Or so ... Obviously, it can't be an item with only 2 relays.
Kered

Post by Kered »

Following on from Wheeler - The Engine Cooling Controller appears to contain a couple of quite complex integrated circuits though it is more likely that a normal discrete component has gone. The box with 2 relays also shows an IC.
Derek
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

Thanks for information so far. Tends to confirm my ideas on the Bitron, including that a Faulty one can allow the engine to overheat without showing the warning light !
Am building a special instrument to measure whether combustion gases are leaking into the coolant system.