Seems like I've bought a DS5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Re: Seems like I've bought a DS5

Post by van ordinaire »

I'm sure electric sunroofs pre-date overhead consoles, so it would;ve taken a while for the switches to migrate upwards.

Don't like them though, never learned to use them without looking for, never mind at, them!
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

In reply to Quackers.

Early days but it looks that way. Summer evenings ain't the best time to check lighting.

Further checks today reveal no rear foot-well lights and no rear puddle lights. (shameful)
Drivers seat. Forward/back. Tilt/up. Seatback, single forward/back movement. No top/bottom half split options. (Backward step)
No Comfort entry/exit seat option. (seat moves back when ignition key removed, and forward to memorised position when key inserted)

Advice so far? If you want a luxurious car, buy a C5 Exclusive with leather and Sat Nav. :|
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Quackers
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 Exclusive + Navi
2009 Citroen C6 2.7 V6 Exclusive + Lounge Pack
2007 Citroen C5 2.2 (173) Exclusive + Navi
2000 Citroen Xantia Activa

Post by Quackers »

qprdude wrote: 12 Jun 2017, 12:48 In reply to Quackers.

Early days but it looks that way. Summer evenings ain't the best time to check lighting.

Further checks today reveal no rear foot-well lights and no rear puddle lights. (shameful)
Drivers seat. Forward/back. Tilt/up. Seatback, single forward/back movement. No top/bottom half split options. (Backward step)
No Comfort entry/exit seat option. (seat moves back when ignition key removed, and forward to memorised position when key inserted)

Advice so far? If you want a luxurious car, buy a C5 Exclusive with leather and Sat Nav. :|

I'm going to guess it does not have a massage button on the drivers seat either then like the C5 does?
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

qprdude wrote: 11 Jun 2017, 22:39 OK. I've had it a week and have very much mixed feelings,

Even less storage cubby's than the C5

Is that actually possible ? :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Quackers, yes, one of the few things it has is the massage drivers seat.
Bobins, Hard to believe isn't it! The Glove box is smaller than the C5 one and that takes a bit of doing. No opening rear armrest either so no cubby in the back at all except the door pockets. . Cup holders in both front door pockets but owing to the design of the door, you cant get a standard small bottle of water to sit upright in them. Goodness knows why anyone would want to stow a drink in a virtually unreachable place.
Quite a neat "head up" message centre. It pops up from the dash in front of the driver, with speed and sat nav directions. It's about 10 cm square plastic screen and I thought it would be distracting but once you get used to it, I suppose it does really allow you to keep your eye on the road, while noting your speed and directions. It can be turned off from a switch in the overhead console. It just slides back down into the dash.
Apart from front sensors and reversing camera, there is a disappointing lack of toys compared to the C5 Exclusive.
Do all automatics come with manual sequential gear change option these days? .
Rick.

Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Back to satnav

My C4 Pic doesn't have a place to enter a postcode, but if you select country and type a postcode in to the "City" field it sorts itself out - full postcode, not just the 4 digit like on older systems. You may be lucky, worth trying.

I'm pretty certain that on the myway C5 I could put in any UK place name. In the Pic I wanted to go to Monmouth from London. Satnav wouldn't find Monmouth, after a few attempts I twigged that I had to set country to Wales. Same for Edinburgh, need to change country. Not a problem once you realize.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

I only get 5 digits of the postcode Richard. Takes me to the town I want, but not the street of course. After entering 5 digits, the screen shows the area selected. Much the same as my 2008 C5, so no progress there. If I decide to visit my sister and brother-in-law in Bossee, France, I should be ok though! :roll:
Rick.

Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Sound to me that the DS5 is not a car to aspire to.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Paul-R wrote: 12 Jun 2017, 20:36 Sound to me that the DS5 is not a car to aspire to.

Always difficult when your old car was so good, but maybe with more "optional extras" the DS5 would be a decent car. It's crying out for Hydractive 3 though.
I suspect the 2015> Prestige might be an improved car, but in my budget the D/Sport was all that was available. Quite a few Hybrids, but I heard some stories about short battery life compared to the Honda. Toyota and Lexus. Plus, they have a smaller luggage space.
Citroen describe the DS5 as an Executive car, but it isn't a patch on my sons Audi A5 or his 3 series BMW, and not on the same planet as my Brother-in-laws E class Merc.
Rick.

Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

I'm curious as to why you didn't test the car thoroughly and check for all the things you're missing or complaining about before you parted with your cash and not after?
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Because I liked the look of the car for a start. Secondly, my MOT was about to expire and I knew it was going to cost £££. Thirdly, I searched for a C5 of similar spec to mine but they are just not available. Finally, I also tried a Hyundai i40 which was nice, but felt more like a salesman's car.
Don't get me wrong, the main reason I'm struggling with the DS5 is that my C5 was top spec with many optional extras. I honestly think that ANY car was going to disappoint at first. I don't NEED rear foot-well lights. I don't Need rear door puddle lights so no big deal personally. It's just that a car advertised as "Exectutive" needs to have a little extra from the run of the mill. My budget was limited and the car had to have an auto box, sat nav, Bluetooth ,Electric parking brake, leather, electric seats, parking sensors, auto lights/wipers and be at least as quick as the 2.2l C5. It has all of those and some more, it's just that my expectations were higher because of the C5 spec. Does anyone check if there are rear foot-well lights and rear door puddle lamps if they don't need them?
I drove the car for well over two hours, but there are limits to what you can check as regards lights on a bright sunny day
Rick.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I have to say I would probably consider a DS5 or similar alternative in the years to come, as I am going to be at a total loss, having personally owned nothing but hydropneumatic / hydractive Citroens - period, now that the last one rolled off the factory floor a while ago! As I'm not set up to do my own maintenance these days, the prospect of maintaining the 'Golden Hornet' for 20 years + (like some of the Xantia owners) is not realistic without selling off the family gold mines.

My brother in law has just come back from Citroen (he wanted to go there to get a proper job done as they have only had it a while) with his 2006 1.6 HDi Picasso Exclusive. Outcome: New rear brake shoes, fixed rear oil leaking onto shoes, Timing Belt, Water Pump, Full Service, MOT, Full Health Check, Fixed Stuck CD in stereo and £683 lighter - with 2 injectors still to replace, and fitting of new headlight (due to non-replaceable bulb clip that is broken, necessitating a new headlight), so a few more shekels to be spent. I did manage to source one for £20 and they will fit it free next time round.

The DS5 does look quite compact compared to the X7 - I still can't get over the size of my car every time I walk up to it in a car park and it's only the saloon! I hope you warm to it Rick - and nothing rides like the hydraulic Citroens (in any flavour) - that is what I always miss when having a loan car - and getting back in my car just makes everything right with the world again!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Yes Marc, it is more compact , especially more than the C5 saloon. It's only marginally shorter than the C5 though. I think the height makes it look shorter Interior space seems a little more enclosed but I suspect it might be because of the style of the centre console and dash. All curves and wider than the C5, which is pretty straight across.

Did I mention that the DS5 has massive road presence? It's flowing lines and higher profile give it a very sleek look, even though it's not a saloon car. With the tapered rear, window spoiler and the front and side chrome strips, it has a fairly sporty but aggressive look. I've already noticed some openly envious looks at traffic lights etc. I've no doubt I will come to accept the harder ride in time and learn to love the DS5 as I loved the C5. 8-)
Rick.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Who knows Rick, it might be possible to retrofit the newer 'hydraulic progressive cushions' in a few years when they are rolled out to everything in the range. Can't see how it can be more complicated than fitting a normal shock absorber!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Rick.