V6 timing belt bracket bolt inner thread stripped!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AlvinCitroenC5
My Cars: 2005 Citroen C5 II

V6 timing belt bracket bolt inner thread stripped!

Post by AlvinCitroenC5 »

Hi,
So my mechanic is replacing the timing belt on my 2005 C5 II 3.0 V6. Because the factory tensioner pulley kit comes with a new mount, he removed the 3 bolts holding the mount, but the inner thread from 2 bolts inside the aluminium block also came out if the engine block. Has anyone had this issue before? Anyone here was able to fit a helicoil repair kit in such tight space without removing the engine? Thank you.
Attachments
mmexport1493323569847.jpg
mmexport1493323564709.jpg
mmexport1493323561908.jpg
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: V6 timing belt bracket bolt inner thread stripped!

Post by CitroJim »

That's nasty... It'll be a skilled operator who can get a helicoil in there without moving the engine but if it's like the Xantia then a judicious bit of partial lifting or lowering may do the trick. The skill will then be to keep the hole square!

Let us know how it goes...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
AlvinCitroenC5

Post by AlvinCitroenC5 »

In the process of purchasing a helicoil repair kit. Will let you know how it works out. Was thinking of using JB Weld with a longer M8 bolt, as the original M8 bolt is quite short, leaving still 1/3 is that length in the block. Stop the JB Weld would be used as a support for the bolt to prevent shear forces. But that will be the last result.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Be careful with bolt length and drilling the helicoil hole as you're not far away from the water jacket there ;)

It might be all to easy to break through into it...

All the very best of luck with this and I'd try to avoid the JB Weld if you possibly can...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
AlvinCitroenC5

Post by AlvinCitroenC5 »

Hi,

Insofar, I am crossing my finger that everything will work out fine. We have manage to install the helicoil into the block.
Attachments
WechatIMG7.jpeg
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Well done, that must of been difficult to get access to and keep it level
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:Well done, that must of been difficult to get access to and keep it level

Yes, indeed, that was my fear with this job so from me too a big well done =D>
Jim

AlvinCitroenC5

Post by AlvinCitroenC5 »

Let's hope the bracket don't rip out when I am revving it to > 6000 RPM and then letting the throttle off quickly. I will let you guys know if I will be purchasing a used Clio V6 engine to replace the stock engine I bust in case the above occurs...