Xantia: Reluctant ABS near stop

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

svip
My Cars: In order of ownership:
1974 Citroën DS 23
* 1985 Citroën CX TRS 22
1998 Citroën Xantia Activa V6

* No longer in my possession.

Xantia: Reluctant ABS near stop

Post by svip »

We were replacing the ball bearings on my Xantia, because they were making noise. While we were down there, we decided to clean the ABS ring (if that's its name) around the shaft, because it was so rusty.

But then we noticed that when you braked, the ABS would suddenly stop braking just before stopping, before then braking again (what I call 'reluctant'). Giving one the impression that it was reading the ring wrong, and assuming the wheels were blocked, when they were not. Note: There is no problem at higher speeds.

We have now replaced the rings on both front wheels, yet the problem persists. The ABS lamp is not lit, but I haven't had a chance to see what Lexia says yet. But since there is no light, I doubt Lexia has much else to tell.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia: Reluctant ABS near stop

Post by CitroJim »

This problem often happens if the ABS sensor is too far away from the ring...

This can happen if the sensor is removed and not correctly replaced - it is easy to get it wrong ;)

The gap between the end of the sensor and the ring must be very small and no more than 1mm

I am guessing you removed them when replacing the bearings?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
svip
1974 Citroën DS 23
* 1985 Citroën CX TRS 22

Post by svip »

The good news is that it's now working again.

It turns out, as you said, the distance was the problem. The weird part was that the new sensor we tried did not work at all, and I also noticed its magnet was less strong than the original one. So we put the old sensor back on, and now it's working. We were first concerned, because we had the Lexia plugged in while we were driving, and the ABS-light stayed on. But it turns out, this was because we had the Lexia attached. As soon as the laptop ran out of battery (very old one), the light turned off. Lexia also reported no faults and the ABS behaved as expected.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent :D Very pleased indeed!

Good job it's fixed as ABS faults like that can be at best unnerving and at worst downright dangerous... If it happens, I believe it's best to disable the ABS until fixed...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

+1 on disabling it in these situations, one of those rare ABS faults that doesn't register as such and disable it for you.

I find ABS a mixed blessing on occasion, 99% of the time it is beneficial but I have experienced ( in a heavy RWD car) moments where I would have been better off locking the wheels on purpose thus continuing on my slide rather than the ABS kicking in and allowing the car to spear off towards the inside of the curve. Also on snow or loose surfaces I like to be able to choose if/ when I lock 'em up.

Very rare circumstances though, the rest of the time it's a great system.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

ekjdm14 wrote: Very rare circumstances though, the rest of the time it's a great system.

Agreed wholeheartedly...

I have a very rare Xantia without ABS. I always have to be conscious of that as if there was ever a car that needs ABS it's a Xantia.
Jim

Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

I don't have abs. That's the system that stops skidding? It's fun on the rambla (dirt track) as with the lively rear I can slide round the corners but if I have to brake it all gets a bit "eerk".
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

CitroJim wrote:
ekjdm14 wrote: Very rare circumstances though, the rest of the time it's a great system.

Agreed wholeheartedly...

I have a very rare Xantia without ABS. I always have to be conscious of that as if there was ever a car that needs ABS it's a Xantia.

As do I, I think. Will have to be careful with that lol
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Wimps...... you can use it a a "limit" indicator :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:Wimps...... you can use it a a "limit" indicator :)

:lol: I've had experience of a Xantia with duff ABS and a four wheel lock-up under emergency braking Alasdair...

A bit of a brown trousers moment but to the car's credit it handled it bloody well...

I've also had experience of an Activa with duff roll correction but that's another story and another pair of brown trousers :twisted:
Jim

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I am looking forwards to expecting it to, then it deciding not to do it :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:I am looking forwards to expecting it to, then it deciding not to do it :)

I'd not look forward to it Alasdair - it's scary when it happens...

I almost ended up in a ditch as a result...
Jim

svip
1974 Citroën DS 23
* 1985 Citroën CX TRS 22

Post by svip »

I thought I had it fixed, but it happened again. I am now considering disabling the ABS until I've probably fixed it.

But so far, it has only happened once. I worry it might happen another time, where it could be more dangerous. But it's always just near stopping. In this case, I was trying to park.

I have to ask then, how close should the sensor be to the ring?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Close. I have heard of occasions when somebody has replaced a failed sensor only for them to have similar problems to yourself. It turned out they had fitted the heat-shield between the sensor and the hub, which caused poor readings of the reluctor ring (as the sensor head was too far away to read the magnetic distortion). When they refitted (so it went bolt head/shield/sensor/hub) the ABS started working properly.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
svip
1974 Citroën DS 23
* 1985 Citroën CX TRS 22

Post by svip »

Dang. We did head/sensor/shield/hub. I guess we now know how to fix it!