What temperature should a CX DTR run at?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

9000se
My Cars: Citroen CX 25 DTR Turbo 2
Citroen Xantia Activa TCT S1.5
Renault Wind 1.2 TCE Dynamique S
Ford Granada Scorpio 2.0 (being sold...)
Volvo 240 SE 2.0
Volvo C70 SE 2.4

What temperature should a CX DTR run at?

Post by 9000se »

Hi All,

Bought a CX recently from a member here who went on to acquire something amazing.

Wondering if some CX (or Citroen / Talbot van) owner with the 2.5 turbo engine could tell me what coolant temperature should the car be running at. The reason I ask is I have been fiddling with the car and the previous owner has shorted the fan to make them run low speed, but I dropped (and lost) the wire and replaced it with another wire and now the fan runs much faster and I am thinking about plugging it back to the radiator for the fan to come on automatically.

Don't want to ruin the engine, so looking if anyone would know what temperature should the engine run at (I have a feeling it will be 90 or so, but not sure, and the Haynes book I just bought didn't tell me anything...) - Thanks a lot!

On another note, the little torch by the passenger side, how do I switch that on?

Thanks!
Angus
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: What temperature should a CX DTR run at?

Post by Peter.N. »

If this is the one with the LCD display mine ran at a constant 86c, when it increased to 87c it was time for a new radiator of which I had two but I had covered about 165k in it. It may be of course that yours has a different thermostat so as long as the temperature stays constant it should be OK.

I don't think you can have anything much more amazing than a CX.

Peter
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Yes my CX was pretty amazing but not quite as amazing as the Ds.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Not sure about the exact running temp for a CX diesel, but cooling system could be similar to BX:
- if twin fans, these connect in series for slow speed and parallel for high speed
- 3 inter-connected relays control this series/parallel operation
- a thermo-switch is fitted into the radiator, which has +12 in, and two outputs (Hi and Low temp) which operate when those two temps are reached
- the thermo-switch activates the relays via two wires

Engine running temp is separately controlled by the engine's own coolant thermostat.

Cars with a single fan achieved the two fan speeds by relay switching a series resistor in/out of circuit, again controlled by the radiator thermo-switch. These resistors have been known to burn out, and get shorted out by owners as a quick fix (fan always runs on high speed); replacements available.

The thermo-switches are still easily available. All 3 relays are standard 30/40A automotive 'cube' type, with changeover contacts. Relay contacts (especially the external ones) are well known for becoming dirty/corroded, by being located up front.

I could be wide of the mark on all this, as I don't have CX parts or circuit diagrams to hand.
Chris
9000se
My Cars: Citroen CX 25 DTR Turbo 2
Citroen Xantia Activa TCT S1.5
Renault Wind 1.2 TCE Dynamique S
Ford Granada Scorpio 2.0 (being sold...)
Volvo 240 SE 2.0
Volvo C70 SE 2.4

Post by 9000se »

Thanks all, I will try plugging it back into the switch and see if that is working, if not I will go and get a new one. Don't want to let it run too hot, hence the question. Many Thanks!