Driving Citroen C5 without Hydraulic Fluid

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Delta Wizard

Driving Citroen C5 without Hydraulic Fluid

Post by Delta Wizard »

Hi I have a 2009 C5 Estate with hydropneumatic suspension. Recently we parked in an airport multistorey car park and on our return the following week found that the car had leaked all the fluid due to a problem with the steering rack. In order to get to a place where the RAC could recover the car I had to drive it off the car park (with great difficulty!).
The rack has now been replaced, but I am wondering if driving with no fluid may have caused other damage - does anybody know what the impact of this might be?
TIA
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Re: Driving Citroen C5 without Hydraulic Fluid

Post by 411514 »

I would not be unduly worried.

Presumably the steering rack emptied all its fluid and the fluid in the reservoir (which is common to the suspension). However, the fluid already in the suspension pump/pipes will have remained, and the fluid in the suspension is effectively static, inasmuch that it does not continually recirculate like the power steering and so doesn't need a constant supply from the reservoir.

I have in the past accidentally driven my car around like this for a week, after a leak from the reservoir, and there doesn't appear to have been any lasting damage. I guess only time will tell.
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Re: Driving Citroen C5 without Hydraulic Fluid

Post by demag »

Yes it should be ok I have moved a couple of cars that leaked. Obviously you wouldn't go far like this and should be fine.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.