Having Disabled adaptations done to your car

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Having Disabled adaptations done to your car

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hello,

well I just thought I'd ask has anyone had adaptations done to their C5?
especially in clutch or throttle and brake control.

I don't want to get to deep into the illness side of things and concentrate more on the costs of getting
adaptations done on a private basis to a car you already own.

it seems that you can get grants or help with costs for adaptations if you hire a mobility vehicle
heck Ive even heard that some manufacturers will fit then for free if you hire their vehicle on a Mobility contract.
But I don't see that as being cost effective at all and would prefer not to have to hand the car back in three years time
when the contract ends.

any advice from people that may have had real experiences with this would be a big help please?

regards.

Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Re: Having Disabled adaptations done to your car

Post by daviemck2006 »

Thankfully I'm not as bad as need that yet. The fully auto has helped me, and a knob on the steering wheel, although it's a bit contrary just now, the knob is on the manual transmission car which does the most town miles!

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Ok so its not my arms or hands.
its my feet and legs.
I know I'm going to get why didn't you buy an Auto?
Unfortunately they still have pedals.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I've helped to look after a privately owned car fitted with hand controls. It was essentially a steering wheel knob fitted with triggers for accelerators and brakes plus controls for lights and indicators on an automatic car. The system cost about £1850 fitted and was absolutely excellent, I actually enjoyed using it despite having no actual need for it. I don't remember the brand but am still in touch and could find out if you like.
As far as I'm aware adding a hand control for a clutch costs about the same and is usually done as a trigger on top of the gear shifter. This was not considered in my friends case as she had trouble with her left hand side due to a prior stroke. It may actually work out cheaper in your case to swap the car for an auto and fit throttle + brake controls if you are willing to consider that.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

My right leg still works perfectly well, I've problems with the left leg. The manual box car will be sold shortly, I've recently bought two autos one was supposed to be for my work but I'm undecided if I really want to put any of them to work! I have arthiritis in my hands so the knid helps me with steering. Hopefully that's all I will need.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
falling-out-with-my-car

Ive found a company in Kent "Vehvac" that will fit a Duck clutch for £1650 minus the vat apparently disability adaptations are vat exempt.
The Duck Clutch being the lever on the gear stick that when depressed pulls the clutch pedal down for you then releases it.
it can be set up with about three different settings according to driver preference.
any further adaptations to throttle and brake are extra so it seems the bill to adapt my car could be as expensive as changing the car for an auto and still
needing adaptations, so I might as well stick with the manual and have that adapted instead.

Vehvac will also lend me a loan C5 car for free for the duration of the installation.

companies in my neck of the woods Northants want way to much money for adaptations like three times as much.

regards.
Nigel.