Xantia 1.9TD Vibration under load

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Xantia 1.9TD Vibration under load

Post by Peter.N. »

On a high mileage vehicle the inner drive shaft joints can wear, I experienced this on a CX but it only happened when the joints had got really warm and melted the grease, which then stopped filling in the wear gap.

Peter
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

My S2 1998 xantia went into Pleiades for inner driveshaft boots to be replaced at 180K
and I was told the Near side inner boot doesn't even get counted at MOT time.
I thought this very unusual.

the inner joints are dead straight and wear much less than the outer joints which have to cope with being at an angle.
A new inner shaft for my 1998 S2 couldn't be found.

My Dad had his Mk1 VSX shafts replaced fairly recently but Pleiades had to send them away to be rebuilt which took a week.
as there were none available from auto factors. he to had the wicked shaking on acceleration

we asked Martin at Pleiades to see if he could find a new donut engine mounting but he couldn't find one.
Mk1 xantia parts are getting very scarce now. Its very hard to find a new LHM flexi-hose for the Mk1 Now they are all but non-existent.
we even tried asking relations living aboard to Try Citroen in France, who also came up with no parts available.
so the steering rumbles now on cornering because the jets in either end of the makeshift hose are not the right size.

shame really because it had new strut tops fitted 3 years ago and apart from needing a nice new paint job its a very good car & Mot'd

looks like it will go to the scrappy soon.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote: My Dad had his Mk1 VSX

looks like it will go to the scrappy soon.

Maybe try offering it for sale on here before doing that.

A lot of people would cherish a Mk1 VSX and find a way to repair it.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I hope so James I really do. Il post it up later.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Brilliant, I thought it was curtains for that one.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Post by ekjdm14 »

Oh yes, it would certainly find a loving home with someone. Can't fathom why anyone would consider scrapping a car just for the sake of a hose, surely a hydraulics company could make up a replacement with the original fittings couldn't they? had this done on obscure PAS and oil cooler hoses before now with good results.

And isn't the "donut" the same as, say, 405/306/ZX etc? surely supply can't have dried up completely? I recall buying one for a 405 not too many years ago (actually now I think, it was about 8 years! :shock: :roll: )

Another solution if it's really bad, couldn't you burn out the rubber and re-cast it in polyurethane? kits are out there now to do this with other bushes etc and I can't see that being too dissimilar (you could even replicate voids with a bit of careful woodwork).

Still another possible option if it's in dire need and they are same as other XUD applications, I may have a good spare now since I think my replacement engine came with one fitted and the original has covered 97k and looked serviceable too. Give me a shout if it may be of interest and I'll have a closer look at both.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, don't scrap any Xantia until offered on here Nigel and never allow such young VSX strut tops to go to a scrap yard...

Parts are available if you are willing to search out... Pleiades is not the sole authority on such matters ;) never take the first answer...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...