Xantia 1.9TD Vibration under load

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

careca
My Cars: Citroen C5 II 2005 2.0 HDI 136Hp
Astra H 1.3 CDTI

Xantia 1.9TD Vibration under load

Post by careca »

Hi, so i got this Xantia 1.9td, from 1996, and when it gets to around 2k/3k rpm (depends on the gear) it starts to vibrate wildly, and when i say vibrate,
it's more like the whole car vibrates, the seats, pedals steering wheel, everything vibrates and the car continues to pull as normal, no lack of power at all.
This is only under load, so for example, at 100km/h stable speed, no vibrations at all, but if i step hard on the gas it starts to build up rpm and the more it's got the more vibration it does.
The most easy to exemplify is in 1st gear, i start to move, and as soon as it gets to a certain rpm vibrations start, car pulls all the same.

So what did i do? replaced the 3 motor mounts because i thought they had collapsed/damaged whatever, they were fine, and now it's got new ones so it can't be that,
doesn't vibrate at higher speeds as long as im at a stable speed,(well at 150kmh kinda does, but to be at that speed the engine has to be pulling hard) so no wheel balancing or tire problems, also does it in 1st.
Im lost, what can i do?

Best regards.
careca
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia 1.9TD Vibration under load

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome to the forum :)

As you have ruled out the engine mounts the next most likely candidate is a worn inboard driveshaft CV joint... They are hard to test in-situ as it only takes a tiny amount of wear to cause the sort of issues you have...

Also, check the RH driveshaft intermediate bearing... They can fail through water ingress...

I have known this once caused by bad wheel bearings... No noise but terrible vibration...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
careca
Astra H 1.3 CDTI

Post by careca »

Hi, thanks for input. A bad wheel bearing without a grinding noise? that's a first for me, it has no play with the wheel off the ground. Also no vibration if not under load, a wheel bearing would make noise and vibrate more, the more speed the car has right?
I've checked the intermediate bearing by hand, there's no play, also no play in the driveshafts..
Im thinking about putting some straps to the engine to limit it's torque lean movement, and see what happens.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, wheel bearings would be constant. My only experience of this was on a Peugeot 205 that was thought to have a dead gearbox.. I bought it for £20 as a result... Two new wheel bearings fixed it. No noise, just vibration...

Inboard CV joints are notoriously hard to check excerpt by substitution...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

I would certainly be looking further into the CV joint & intermediate bearing as Jim said, and would much rather substitute known good/new parts there before going to extremes like strapping the engine down. This may or may not cure the symptom (vibration through the car) but if it did the root cause would remain unaddressed, the stresses would be directed elsewhere and maybe cause damage to the gearbox/crank or even crack the subframe over time.

Definitely rule out the known common causes before resorting to bodgery, I feel it's highly likely to be the inner CV or intermediate bearing. Hope this helps
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Does the gear lever rock around when the car is vibrating?
careca
Astra H 1.3 CDTI

Post by careca »

elma wrote:Does the gear lever rock around when the car is vibrating?
No more than usual, and no more than when not vibrating.

I should record a video, maybe then you all can hear it and get a better "feeling" out of it.
elma

Post by elma »

No it's ok. Sometimes when the centre bearing goes the gearstick goes nuts, sometimes it doesn't.
I think you've gat a fairly accurate list to be ruling out with inboard cv joints, centre bearing and wheel bearings.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The gearstick in Gabriel shakes around a bit but that does not cause any vibration at all.

In fact she's as smooth as silk...

In her case the cause is a slightly soft rear lower engine mount...
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

My gold one when I bought it all those years ago had a serious case of gearstick slapping which was down to the centre bearing. It was totally bonkers.
It was quite a bit more violent than the rattling the engine mounts caused in Red (another of my 1.9td Xantias). I haven't actually seen this happen again since but it was so violent it is quite unforgettable.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Another vote for the inboard drive shaft joints. I have only ever had this happen once and that was on a CX Safari, it had done 200k+ miles and it drove OK until the drives shafts got hot, the grease then melted and couldn't take up the slack due to the wear.

Peter
careca
Astra H 1.3 CDTI

Post by careca »

Mine vibrates on cold and hot, only after certain rpms, even in first gear, i don't see how it can be due to the CV joints.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Does it do it with the car stationary or only moving?

Peter
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

A friend and I spent ages tracing a similar fault on a high miler Xantia, eventually a driveshaft was the culprit, I have a pair of S1 driveshafts cluttering up the garage.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Careca

ignore any possibility of it being CV joints the chances are its not that. CV joints are incredibly strong.
I'd check to see if it vibrates between 40 and 50mph on accelerating, no vibration at high speed above 60mph if it does it every time shaking the cabin wildly
its definitely the drivers side drive shaft intermediate bearing.

"replace drivers side drive shaft"

my 1.9td xantia drivers side drive shaft was replaced three times because of intermediate bearing failure in 12 years.
and in all that time I only did 89k in total but I did a lot of towing of heavy trailers and hard acceleration to.

If you go for driveshaft replacement and the car has abs make sure you have the right number of teeth on the end of the driveshaft to operate the abs.
sometimes the ring gear can be removed and put on the new shaft but they often break up on removal because of corrosion.
replacement abs shafts can often be much more expensive that non-abs shafts. GSF do a shaft replacement deposit scheme you'll get some money back when you take the old shaft back for reconditioning and resale. make sure you get a new gearbox oil seal to its worth changing it just to be sure the gearbox doesn't leak when you put the new shaft in.

also check the bottom engine stabiliser mounting bush it is a perfect circle behind the sump and low down, they get soaked in oil sometimes and
the rubber delaminates from the alloy mounting, these are much harder to find these days and the main characteristic is a wobbly gearstick
especially on acceleration but this time more at much lower speeds.

good luck. my bet on your description is the drivers side driveshaft intermediate bearing.

regards.

Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.