Xantia 2.0 HDi crank pulley - what does a failed one look like?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

seedy
My Cars:

Xantia 2.0 HDi crank pulley - what does a failed one look like?

Post by seedy »

The 1999 2.0 HDi (90,000 miles) started making a knocking noise at tickover. Tried the stethoscope and it seemed to inidicate a vibrating alternator. Consulted a few people and got various suggestions ranging from "scrap it" to "replace the crank pulley". The latter sounded more acceptable, so now the Xantia's on stands in the garage and the crank pulley is here on the desk. But how to know if the pulley is shot? No visible signs of wear. No smell of burned rubber. If I stick it in the vice I can get a bit of movement by hand between the inner and outer parts. But is that enough to explain a loud knocking?
HDI
My Cars:

Re: Xantia 2.0 HDi crank pulley - what does a failed one look like?

Post by HDI »

Usually a failed one is obvious, like completely separated inner and outer, or if not separated, barely hanging on. The knocking noise could be a failed belt tensioner pulley, the spring loaded one on the top run of the serpentine belt.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
('96 ZX 1.9TD SX, ??k roller due to collect at weekend)

Post by ekjdm14 »

Hard to say with any certainty without hearing the sound, I suppose you could try reinstalling the pulley (don't run the engine with it removed!) but leaving the belt off and see if the noise has gone or not. If it's still there, or remains elusive after checking the tensioner as suggested above, perhaps you could take a video of it and might help with diagnosis...

I note you're in Frodsham so not a million miles away from us, so if you're really struggling & you happen to venture towards Congleton in the car I could have a quick look if we're home.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, ??k
seedy
My Cars:

Post by seedy »

I did run the engine without the belt (with the crank pulley), and it sounded like a 2.0 HDi again. So that suggests to me the sound is coming from one of the things driven by or driving the belt. It rules out anything relating to the timing belt. But all the auxiliaries seem to turn nicely enough, so what I need now is a set of mini belts so I can run with each of the auxilaries in turn to pin-point the culprit. Or I could do what some of the dealers do - replace each item in turn 'till I get lucky. :-(
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Normally they look rusty and often the entire area is covered in rusty dust. When they're getting worse, you can sometimes see a shiny line between the 2 parts. It sounds like the most likely failure TBH....
Richard W
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

When I bought my current HDI it had a noisy pulley, I must have caught it early as there was nothing to see really, I paint a line of workshop tippex across them to reveal any movement.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

My bottom crank pulley split in the collar at the back if the pulley in my xud9 xantia lump it dislodged the woodruff key And caused a knocking sound it may be that you have a hairline crack in the collar of yours either inside or starting from the outside.

Sent from my GoFone_GF50X using Tapatalk
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Having had the pulleys go, then yes that may be the sound of a crank pulley. It can also be the clutch pulley on the alternator. One can sound like the other sometimes. I replaced the crank damper on this one, only to discover it was the clutch bearing on alternator. Crank damper was a £45 Dayco from Mr Auto and the alternator bearing is an Ina bearing, about £32 from Ebay, so quite reasonable to keep your beast on the road.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

seedy wrote:what I need now is a set of mini belts so I can run with each of the auxilaries...or replace each item in turn 'till I get lucky. :-(
the latter needn't be as outrageously costly as it'd initially sound, as long as you choose a supplier who'll accept returns or find all the bits in a scrappies. Bit of a pain to fit & remove, but sometimes necessary.

Or I understand, but have never investigated it personally, that lawnmower repairs services can be a great source of custom belts: I believe the aux' belt on my XUD was sourced as such (but I got it s'h)
Puxa
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

A stethoscope is a valuable tool for diagnosing which pulley is noisy. Just loin and listen, it's obvious which ones making the noise. If you don't want burst eardrums start a couple of meters away and slowly move in until the volume is right and do not put the stethoscope against anything on the car, you will never hear again.
seedy
My Cars:

Post by seedy »

It appears to be sorted.Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. The quandry was, having established that the noise disappeared when the serpentine belt was removed, which of six pulleys represented the problem? The answer came from considering the sizes of the pulleys. Only the crank pulley would explain an engine-speed knock. The other smaller pulleys would turn faster and be out of synch with the engine speed.

Close examination of the crank pulley showed damage to the key slot (see image).
So now we have a new BGA pulley. £58 inl VAT.

I hear the warnings about reliability, but the car only does about 3000 miles per year now, and the original pulley only lasted 90k miles. So...
Last edited by myglaren on 31 Mar 2017, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image tags (url tage removed).
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
('96 ZX 1.9TD SX, ??k roller due to collect at weekend)

Post by ekjdm14 »

So was the pulley cracked or was that the only damage? If so, it would suggest to me that the pulley wasn't properly torqued up (perhaps after a cam belt replacement?)

Glad it's sorted now anyway
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, ??k