Timing belt service

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Timing belt service

Post by qprdude »

Does anyone know the approximate cost of a cam belt/water pump service on a 2008 C5 2.2l bi-turbo diesel?
I know the mileage interval is ridiculously high and mine is only at 52000mls, but next year sees the 10 year time limit on the belt so depending on costs, it might be time to part exchange the car. It's a 2008, and has cost me very little so far, in nearly 5 years of ownership. I've never owned a car for five years before, and I've certainly never had a car for 5 years without at least new brake pads, sometimes discs , and an exhaust. I don't really want to start spending lots of money on a 10 year old car, although I love it to bits.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Timing belt service

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Might I suggest you take a look to see how much Citroen would charge? I know that, for a while at least, they had fixed price servicing. I did try to go through a service booking, but they need vehicle details.

http://www.citroen.co.uk/owner-services ... -servicing
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
mickeymoon

Re: RE: Timing belt service

Post by mickeymoon »

qprdude wrote:Does anyone know the approximate cost of a cam belt/water pump service on a 2008 C5 2.2l bi-turbo diesel?
I know the mileage interval is ridiculously high and mine is only at 52000mls, but next year sees the 10 year time limit on the belt so depending on costs, it might be time to part exchange the car. It's a 2008, and has cost me very little so far, in nearly 5 years of ownership. I've never owned a car for five years before, and I've certainly never had a car for 5 years without at least new brake pads, sometimes discs , and an exhaust. I don't really want to start spending lots of money on a 10 year old car, although I love it to bits.
So you never had problems with it but would rather sell it and spend far more on another car you don't know?

I'm not sure I'm following your logic!
osx
(Donor 2022)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: GSA X
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

Better to sell before replacing the timing belt and while you can still get a decent exchange as diesels will depreciate even more now. You will eventually have to replace the DPF and possibly the steering rack so that's the value of your car already.
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Auto
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Manual
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Rick, there are 2 levels of fixed price repairs that Citroen offer:
The 'Essentials' use approved parts and the 'Originals' repairs that use genuine Citroen parts.
For the Timing Belt Kit they are charging £295 and £345 respectively depending on which of these two options you choose. The price includes Parts, VAT and Labour.
http://www.citroen.co.uk/owner-services ... on-repairs

I suspect the water pump may be additional, but can't be certain.

I'd be interested to know if you do get a quote as mine will need the same within 2 years due to age not mileage.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Bick

Post by Bick »

Water pump is extra and you try and get a price off Citroen service for the complete job - its a nightmare once you step outside the 'fixed price repair' price list.
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

Citroen quoted me when I asked for the same on the Berlingo. £295 plus £60 extra for waterpump and fitting, so it was easy enough.

Give the indy PTS Developments in Wokingham a ring and ask them how much. They're usually competitive. They'll do you a courtesy car too, usually a Xantia or 307!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would agree with mickeymoon about PTS developments. They replaced the front calliper on my C5 for a decent price.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Not wanting to start spending money on a 10 yr old car seems, shall we say, a little optimistic. It's not as though, as it turns out, it's a lot of money - in the scheme of things.
It's a remarkably similar quote to the one I got for the C15 - which I did baulk at, because it was more than I paid for the van!
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

I agree. Rick clearly likes his car. It's been reliable and likely will continue to be so. It's not set in stone that the steering rack will start leaking - in fact I'd be tempted to say it won't if it's not already! DPF isn't even expensive these days either even if it does clog. I'd get the belt changed and keep the car in the same position.