Citroen fuel pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

markiemark71159
My Cars: Citroen relay mk2 & 3

Citroen fuel pump

Post by markiemark71159 »

Hi guys.

I have a problem with an 08 Citroen relay lwb.

Woke up one morning few weeks back to find my battery flat. Was a 1 year old battery. 5 year waranty.. Recharged it up only for it to happen again the next day.
I already had a new alternater in a box so i fitted this. I even had a battery replacement under waranty.

Next day battery flat again. Tracked this back to my diesel fuel pump permantly running. I am at the mo having to disconect the battery earth lead on long stops & over night.

This happened litterally over night. Any clues were to start to resolve this

Thank in advance
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Citroen fuel pump

Post by Peter.N. »

There should be a relay somewhere in the circuit and its possibly stuck, but no guarantee of anything with modern electronics I'm afraid.

Peter
markiemark71159
My Cars: Citroen relay mk2 & 3

Post by markiemark71159 »

Hi Peter

Yep i thought the same. The manual tells you each fuse but no details on what each relay does.

So i started pulling relays. fusebox & dash convinced i would stop the pump. Afraid not the bloody thing still runs.

Only stopping when pulling the fuse. Unless i am missing relays someware else on the van.

I need to find out what each relay is for and there location really

How well onward and upward. Cheers :(
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

My understanding is that older models (say pre-2001) had a separate fuel pump relay installed beneath the engine bay fuse box.

I think more recent models however have the fuel pump relay incorporated into the engine bay fuse box (some people seem to call it a 'smart box'). At least, this is the case with my 2003 C5 HDi.

Again, in the case of my 2003 C5, the engine bay fuse box is not coded to the vehicle, and so can be easily swapped with a scrap yard unit which will plug and play.

If you are feeling brave you might even like to take the engine bay fuse box apart, and you could try de-soldering the old relay and soldering in a new one, or as a short term bodge you might try fitting a manual switch in place of the relay.

Assuming that the engine bay fuse box is the problem, scrap yard units tend to be available relatively cheaply (<£50).
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

This machine is a Fiat. Not sure how available the fuse boxes are. It is located behind the nearside (left) headlamp. A common problem is that they get wet from splashes from the road. They often recover after being dried out.