Berlingo 1.6hdi issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

richw
My Cars: Citroen Berlingo

Re: Berlingo 1.6hdi burning oil

Post by richw »

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

The turbo was a refurbished unit from Midland Turbo and they seem very reputable to me. They advised that the fitting procedure needed to be followed exactly and that the turbo required a fitting kit (including new send/return feeds):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251435964913

I passed on the fitting instructions supplied with the turbo to my local garage before they fitted it and they were careful to follow them.

I'm not sure if the smoke is blue or white or grey. It's definitely not black, but a very light shade.

Two reasons I feel the turbo is not at fault:
- I have no reason to think it was fitted incorrectly or had a fault, yet symptoms were identical before and after fitting.
- The smoke isn't obvious every time the engine is revved, but is most clear when run at 1-2000revs for a while then revved hard afterwards, irrespective of whether engine is hot or cold beforehand. Surely if the turbo exhaust seals were gushing oil, this would be apparent on every high rev/load?

Any further ideas?

Rich
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Re: Berlingo 1.6hdi burning oil

Post by Zelandeth »

If you're burning that much oil, you'll have a *very* visible smoke trail. Burnt oil smoke will have a blue hue to it and will linger.

Another way to shut down a runaway diesel is to have a CO2 fire extinguisher on hand and empty that into the air intake.

Have only had to deal with two runaways, and that was how number two was dealt with (in a garage forecourt no less) - first was due to a faulty vapour separator on an engine we had just resurrected after a ten or so year slumber, so was stopped by pulling the PCV hose off once we figured out what was going on.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.