C5 or non hydro citroen

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiagreen
My Cars:

C5 or non hydro citroen

Post by xantiagreen »

Currently my xantia is running perfectly but seems to be leaving a slight stain from the clutch pedal, I am now thinking it's nearing the time for another Citroen but not sure whether to go for a C4 or C5.

Which C5 year variant and spec should I be looking for and what are the common issues to look out for and the same question for the C4

Budget is between £2k and £3.5k.

All advice and replies appreciated.
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
96 Xantia 2lt 16v Sx Olive green
01 Xantia 110 Hdi
Storm Grey (SOLD 4/11/18)

Temporarily driving Polo 1.9sdi

All I want is a Bx Gti or 16v!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: C5 or non hydro citroen

Post by Peter.N. »

Don't know much about the late ones but I had a couple of Mk1s, the first was a 2.2 Hdi with hydractive and gave an excellent but I got rid of it because the fuel consumption was so poor, I replaced it wit a 2.0. Hdi, excellent consumption but not a very good ride even after I had replaced the spheres and trailing arm bearings. After 15 years of running XMs I was rather disappointed with the non hydractive C5.

The newer ones look very nice but judging by some of the reports on here are not as reliable as the early one, but to be fair they do have a lot more technology.

Eventually I bought a 406 as the ride and handling was better than the 2.0. C5 and they are very reliable, I have had three now and they just don't seem to go wrong, everything still works after 16 years, they have no DPF and the tax is cheaper - at the moment.

Peter