Euro NCAP rating on Xantia shock!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI
My Cars:

Re: Euro NCAP rating on Xantia shock!

Post by HDI »

mickeymoon wrote:I'm also sceptical of Tiff and VBH's claim in the Smart car / concrete / Corsa video that the car occupants would be almost certainly dead. It's not uncommon for racing drivers past and present to have suffered far higher accident g-forces, even in the days before HANS devices and simply walked away..

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
That would have been fluke. Race drivers were killed and seriously injured in droves before Jackie Stewart and other drivers campaigned to improve car and circuit safety. Even now, with huge attention to driver safety, drivers can still be killed.
Changing subject, even though I'm a massive 2CV fan, it is not a safe car in any way, shape or form! Designed and built before crash testing or any form of passenger safety was even considered, it is a death trap in a serious collision. As would most cars from the same era, or even 30-40 years later. It is only since Ncap that occupant safety has been dramatically improved. Just moving your head, shoulders and limbs around in an older car indicates how vulnerable you are to fatal or serious injury. The bigger you are the worse it is. I'm just over 6ft tall and lean but well built and it worries me just how close my head is to the roof, shoulders are to door pillars and legs to dash and steering wheel in older cars, and even some smaller, newer ones. As for rag tops, I think people who drive those are mad! Then again, I also ride motorcycles!
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
mickeymoon

Re: RE: Re: Euro NCAP rating on Xantia shock!

Post by mickeymoon »

HDI wrote:
mickeymoon wrote:I'm also sceptical of Tiff and VBH's claim in the Smart car / concrete / Corsa video that the car occupants would be almost certainly dead. It's not uncommon for racing drivers past and present to have suffered far higher accident g-forces, even in the days before HANS devices and simply walked away..

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
That would have been fluke. Race drivers were killed and seriously injured in droves before Jackie Stewart and other drivers campaigned to improve car and circuit safety. Even now, with huge attention to driver safety, drivers can still be killed
They were killed, but not by g-forces. Fire, no safety cell and being impacted by part of the tub, and being thrown out the vehicle were the usual causes. Not G-force.

75G impact.

The fatal accidents in recent years have not been caused by g-force either. Bianchi hit his head on the underside of an excavator, Dan Wheldon impacted a safety fence post while airborne and on his side in an Indycar race - his head hit the post, Dale Earnhart had a faulty seatbelt, Henry Surtees got bopped on the head by a flying wheel, and Justin Wilson also got bopped on the head by a freak, freak flying piece of debris.

Not one due to G-force. I recall Matt Neal's Nissan registering 110g on it's meter after a crash.
Last edited by myglaren on 20 Mar 2017, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouTube tags
HDI
My Cars:

Re: Euro NCAP rating on Xantia shock!

Post by HDI »

Not directly by G force, as in G force alone, but by G force acting through another medium. Like the old saying, it's not the fall that kills you, but hitting the ground! So, if thrown from a car, you would be fine, until hitting a solid object. Nigel Mansell was severly injured in an Indy Car accident when his car hit the wall backwards at very high speed, it was very close to rupturing his spine.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !